Can low voltage make the tach jump? RESOLVED

Gotta love that wiring . . .
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Can low voltage make the tach jump? RESOLVED

Post by ga.spyder »

I am getting my 82 back on the road after a lengthy repair.I took a test drive and she ran great, But..... My alternator light came on .It has been coming on when I first start until I rev it a bit,then it was fine.Now it is staying on.I tested it,and it isnt putting out much.I have a new one on the way.The tach is also acting up.It seems normal at idle,but as soon as you give it any throttle,it goes haywire.Jumping all over the place.Can this be caused by low voltage,or is there a shared wire between the alt and tach that could cause both issues?
Craig
Last edited by ga.spyder on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
GDR76SPIDER
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Re: Can low voltage make the tach jump?

Post by GDR76SPIDER »

Is the belt tension maybe too loose? Maybe that's why when u rev it, it may catch kinda thing?

As for the tach, check ur connection at the coil, could possibly be the issue?
joelbert2k

Post by joelbert2k »

I starting having tach bounce issues when the wires on the electronic ignition pickup became old, frayed and brittle. (not unlike me :lol: )

Joel
FiatMac
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by FiatMac »

Craig,
Have you seen the article on Mirafiori FAQ pages? http://www.mirafiori.com/faq/content/ta ... achfix.htm
Stan McConnell
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Salisbury, North Carolina
82 2000 Spider (driving)
78 124 Spider on the rotisserie
76 124 Spider parts car or possible Lemons racer
83 parts car
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

I have seen voltage and electrical irregularities effect the tac. The 82 alternator has an internal voltage regulator. If your electical systems are in good working order and it does come down to the alternator you may want to consider the 95 amp alternator. If you do not want the 95 amp alternator. I have a working original 65A alternator that i took out of my 82' that I would sell. i've been holding on to it for over a year in case there are any issues with the 95 amp alternator. Over a year and 5000 miles later the alternator is functioning fine so i can get rid of the backup.

I replaced the alternator at the same time i installed the headlight relay. It's a joy to have a fiat with bright lights, fast wipers and a loud radio.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

There is always the possibility of a loose connection. The output of the alternator has 2 black wires the larger goes to the starter solenoid terminal with the green battery and brown ignition switch wire. Behind the alternator there are 2 single wire terminals one has red wires the other has brown wires. I would check this terminal as it is below the fuel rail. From that terminal the brown wire goes through the firewall to C17 the brown wire junction behind instrument panel. From C17 it continues to C31 the ignition switch connector. when the ignition switch is in "start or Run" the blue/red wire at C31 feeds the alternator out light. The small black wire at the alternator output goes through the firewall to fuse 10. Fuse 10 is jumped to fuse 9 the black wire on the unfused side of fuse 9 continues to C31 the ignition switch connector. With the switch in "run or start" the pink wires at C31 feed the ignition and power the tac. I think C31 the ignition switch plug is the most common point to both your problems.
Have you checked the tac connection at the coil???
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

It gets curiouser and curiouser!! :? I had a 65 amp alt. that I bought from Autozone 3 years ago.Lifetime warranty which they honored.Before removing the old one I stuck a voltmeter to the back,grounded on the case and the frame.I was getting extremely high readings..up to 17 volts :shock: Ah-ha thinks I,internal reg. is fried.Hopped on my Harley ,ran to the zone brought home my new one .Installed it and,same result.WTH?? Alt light is glowing tach is jumping.Try to get a reading on voltage and the car dies.And...it wont restart.I notice when I turn my key to 'ON',the battery icon lights but not the oil symbol.It always has before.And when the key is on,my clock stops ticking and the fuel pump doesnt energize and run.I hope somebody has an idea.I do...but I cant buy C-4!!!!!!
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
ga.spyder

Re: Can low voltage make the tach jump? RESOLVED

Post by ga.spyder »

Thanks for all the input.I now have a new alternator that I didnt need :oops: I had a couple of bad connections at the alternator and the wires going back to the dash.Car is idling and revving smoothly,no glowing charge light and no jumpy tach.I need to replace a couple ring terminals,grease all connections,etc..These are all a result of having my catchers mitt hands in there taking the fuel rail in and out!!Now,on to relacing fuel lines and the tank.I have my winter projects lined up. Special thanks to my friends Ron and David.You guys are probably sorry you gave me your phone numbers :lol:
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022

Post by rlux4 »

No way buddy! Your call gave me an excuse to get away from that customer who wanted to talk about everything he "might" do instead of what he actually wants me to do! What was causing the fuel pump to not run?
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

Ron,I dont know! Those wires apparently go into the ignition switch.When I found the issue worked out,I didnt ivestigate any further. :? I am a firm believer in leaving well enough alone!!! :lol: Thanks again,Buddy.Its always nice to get to trade stories over the phone with you.
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022

Post by rlux4 »

Oh yeah. I agree.
Also, you're spared the hassle of locating the inline fuse until a later date! :lol:
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

Hey Ron,while I was poking around inside the car to figure on routing and removing hard lines.I stumbled on the dreaded inline fuse.It was in fine shape,so I gingerly put it back!! :shock:
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !