No Low Beam on either side

Gotta love that wiring . . .
GDR76SPIDER
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

No Low Beam on either side

Post by GDR76SPIDER »

Hi guys, i did some searching around and found some good info, but still nothing has seemed to work.

High beam works on both sides. but when i switch to low beam, the green light on the dash is on, but i don't get any light.

i checked for power at the connection to the light, and i get power to the high beam wire, but nothing to the low beam wire.
i also checked @ the 2 pin connector on the driver side, and i dont get nothing there either.
i then checked @ the fuses, and found it odd that in the owners manual, fuse C & D are the high beam, and E & F are the low beam, but when my high beams are on, they are going through fuses E & F, maybe the PO changed the spot in which the wires went? and C & D has nothing when i test it.

it doesnt really look tampered with though.

i'm really scratching my head on this one. any help would be great guys, thanks!
GDR76SPIDER

Re: No Low Beam on either side

Post by GDR76SPIDER »

searched some more, some suggest checking the connectors @ the column switch.
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

Since the column switch switches between high and low beams it is possible that it's the culprit.

The way to diagnose this is to get a wiring diagram and find the flow of current (ignition switch to headlight switch to cloumn switch to fusebox, etc) and with a voltmeter find where you 'lose' the voltage. Like you have voltage in the wire from the light switch to the column switch, but not out of the column switch. That would tell you it's the column switch.

It's unlikely it would happen with both lights, but I've seen headlights not work because of corroded fuses.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
GDR76SPIDER

Post by GDR76SPIDER »

vandor wrote:Since the column switch switches between high and low beams it is possible that it's the culprit.

The way to diagnose this is to get a wiring diagram and find the flow of current (ignition switch to headlight switch to cloumn switch to fusebox, etc) and with a voltmeter find where you 'lose' the voltage. Like you have voltage in the wire from the light switch to the column switch, but not out of the column switch. That would tell you it's the column switch.

It's unlikely it would happen with both lights, but I've seen headlights not work because of corroded fuses.

thanks turned out to be the fuses that were loose! funny how sometimes its the easiest thing..

thanks for the reply!
JEEPER
Your car is a: 1979 SPIDER

Post by JEEPER »

Try http://www.artigue.com/fiat/ for a wiring diagram.