Will not start

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Kev659

Will not start

Post by Kev659 »

Hey guys,

I am having an issue with my fiat. Battery was dead a day or so ago and I charge it up and the car started fine. I went to a car show and tried to start it again and nothing the car just clicks but the lights are strong and do not dim when I try and crank the engine. Would you say its the battery or starter?
GeorgeT
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Will not start

Post by GeorgeT »

Check the connections at the starter and starter solenoid.
Kev659

Post by Kev659 »

What are the voltage readings supposed to be at the starter and solenoid?

On a better note I did break down at a car show that I just won best in class so it was a bitter sweet day. Ill jack the car tonight and test the starter. How hard is it to replace the starter and or solenoid? I imagine its 3 bolts and maybe a hanger to remove.
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

Kev659 wrote:What are the voltage readings supposed to be at the starter and solenoid?

On a better note I did break down at a car show that I just won best in class so it was a bitter sweet day. Ill jack the car tonight and test the starter. How hard is it to replace the starter and or solenoid? I imagine its 3 bolts and maybe a hanger to remove.
It is a filthy job and will infuriate you to no end. It is three bolts and a hanger (sometimes the hanger isn't there). Two of the bolts are easy to get to. One of them requires a combination of u-joints and extenders on a 3/8" socket wrench. Plan on having your arm cut at least a couple of times from working in that space.

It is such a crappy job some guys remove the motor and transmission to do it. Now, that being said, removing the motor and transmission on a carbureted car with an A-frame is easy. On an FI car or late model carbureted Spider it isn't so easy.
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Why are you yanking the starter?? First off, does battery have 12.5 + volts?? Does the little wire at starter have 12v when key in crank position?? Hold key in crank position have someone smack starter with hammer, see if it takes off and cranks.
Keith
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

A low battery that makes the starter *click* a few times doesn't have enough *juice* in it to turn the starter over to turn the flywheel over to turn the crankshaft over to make the engine start. You charged the battery so it makes me think it is the starter. Assuming you did check all the connections as mentioned by Majicwrench. Ensure grounds are good like the strap to the bell housing. The solenoid is pretty durable and as long as it is clean with good connections it functions more like an on/off switch. Does voltage drop by more than 1/2 volt when cranking? The starter does take a lot of juice and can give you a false positive if the battery is somewhat charged. Before getting a hammer and stick (2X4) and banging on it (this method actualkly does work). Try hooking a jumper cable to the baterry and seeing if that does anything. A lose belt could draw down the battery just enough that it does not charge after a drive to the car show. I'm not sure i can explain why, but when my previous starter started to go south I put it in fourth and rolled it back a foot and that "helped" the starter find a more friendly position to engage after putting it back in neutral and starting. Eventually replaced with a gear reduction starter and have had no issues since.

If it is the starter i would find a relaible shop experienced with rebuilding starters if that is the route you take. If you take the starter out you may want to consider the gear reduction starter as the original starters even rebuilt are still 30 + years old. i like original equiptment and think that the design is very good. However, when replacing parts with re-built parts after failure there is an opportunity to improve reliability. ...

OK.. I'm ready to be torched for suggesting non-original parts.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit »

Find the problem first! Bad connections at the starter or batt cost ZERO to fix. If your starter is DOA then get a reduction starter. Old worn out rebuilt parts are not better than new parts. I put a gear reduction starter in and I think it was money well spent. Oh, it is a royal PITA to get to the top bolt on the starter.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

beating on the starter will break the field coils, requiring a rebuild. The reason it can work temporarily is that the bushings are worn and the armature is dragging against those coils
Jocky
Your car is a: 1982 spider FI

Post by Jocky »

Yep...Sounds like you've got a electrical open circuit within the starter motor. Withdrawing the starter is pig of a job, but once you have it out it's worth cleaning the threads of the fixing bolts. Also I found that if you cut a slot on the end of the bolt, it makes the refit/withdrawl of the starter easier... once you get the bolt entered then using a screwdriver from the bellhousing end you screw the bolt in whislt taking the weight with your other hand. then it's just a matter of nipping up with a spanner the final tightning...hope that helps.
peterandreana

Post by peterandreana »

I appreciate this thread! as my '78 seems to be having a similar issue. The other day it cranked on in a snap, then today the starter wouldn't turn the engine. It made a clicking sound, then silence and then smoke from under the hood and it smelled like fried wiring with plastic!

Where do I pick up a gear reduction starter? Autozone?
courtenay
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by courtenay »

Allison's Automotive sells them.
Bruce Shearer
'80 Spider Fi
'10 Volvo XC70
'06 GMC 1 Ton PU
'72 Spider a long, long time ago
peterandreana

Post by peterandreana »

courtenay wrote:Allison's Automotive sells them.
Any special wiring I should get? Should I replace the current wiring? If so, where should I purchase it?

Thanks for the help.
peterandreana

Post by peterandreana »

Well,

I finally got the Marinelli starter motor out. I also purchased the gear reduction starter for about $240.

Basically it's very hard to access the screws but I had my wife with her tiny hands guide the 13mm ratchet on to the last one which is really a pig to get off. I'd also like to thank all those who left detailed messages about their starter stories.

I think I now know what to do for the installation. There is a wire with a clip on it that I will need to cut and then solder on the new wire with a different clip that fits the new starter. I'm going to take my time cleaning the wires before I install the new starter. I'll report back when it's done!
peterandreana

Post by peterandreana »

The gear reduction starter works like a champ!

Now I will figure out how to replace the seal and bearings on the distributor to stop an oil leak. Probably will need to do more than just that however.

Thanks boyz for all the help.