Headlight Column Switch problem on 1983 Pininfarina

Gotta love that wiring . . .
jack

Headlight Column Switch problem on 1983 Pininfarina

Post by jack »

I cannot get my taillights and dash lights to operate in the normal ( non-parking) position. I have sprayed contact cleaner on the rocker type parking switch thinking it might allow the taillights to operate but no luck. I am assuming the problem is in the switch since the taillights and dash lights work when I set the rocker switch to park. Is the parking switch bad or is there something else that could be wrong. The switch is really expensive so I am hoping someone knows a simple fix. This is on a 1983 Pininfarina with the muti stick controls on the column. Thanks, jack
Boris61
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1984 Pininfarina

Re: Headlight Column Switch problem on 1983 Pininfarina

Post by Boris61 »

I have an 84 with the same switch problem. Apparently this is common. I have looked for one of these everywhere I could with no luck. Didn't know I could buy a new one. Would you please send me the info you found. I am ready to pay what I have to so I can drive at night or replace the switch with one from Radio Shack. Good luck to you.
jack

Post by jack »

I have seen an aftermarket column switch at International, Vick and Autoricambi, Unfortunately, they are all priced pretty high.
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

Boris61
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Post by Boris61 »

Thanks for the link Oxford, but this isn't what I was looking for. The switch. I am referring to is only about 5 cm long and round on top (like a crescent moon) and is mounted right behind the horn button on top of the plastic steering column cover. It is used to turn on the parking lights for one side of the car or the other.
leftfield6

Post by leftfield6 »

Interesting that the photo on autoricambi doesn't seem to show the euro park light switch, but indicates that this assembly fits the 83-85.

Boris, the switch on top of the steering wheel is part of the mult-function assembly linked to above. It is not a separate item.

I had the same issue with my 83 (since sold), here is a link to my old thread.

http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic ... 99#p120799
jack

Post by jack »

Is there a way to bypass the rocker switch and allow the lights to operate correctly? If the replacement switches don't have the european rocker swich, why not bypass?
Boris61
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Post by Boris61 »

I think the only reason to fix or replace the switch instead of replacing the whole column switch assembly is a desire to keep it original. I found this link and it suggests bypassing the switch by cutting and connecting the two white wires. I will probably end up doing this since all the switches on stems work perfectly. http://archive.mirafiori.com/show.php?fid=2&msg=141417
jack

Post by jack »

It sounds like a perfect solution. I took the column cover off ( top section) but I didnt really look at the wires. That may be a next weekend project. If you get to yours first, let me know how it goes. I'l do them same. And thanks for finding the article. jack
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Have you checked a wire diagram or looked in your owners manual to see what fuse or fuses are in the circuit. On my 1981 the parking lights can be on with the ignition switch off and the parking light switch on. With the light switch in the headlight position the parking lights get power from the "hot in start or run" position of the ignition switch.
May be you problem is not the switch but a fuse or some other connection.
Boris61
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Post by Boris61 »

The 81 is different. All the 83-84 non-Fiat Pininfarina Azzurras have this strange switch to select the parking lights by side. I guess the reasoning is if you park on the right side of the road you really only need to have the lights on the left on (the street side). Anyway the problem isn't that their isn't current there. It is that the in the off position the switch is open and the tail lights and dash lights go out. Mine works in either direction so not a fuse, but when you turn the wheel the same mechanism that cancels the turn signal causes the switch to return to center position and off go the dash and tail lights. Headlights stay on. It is definitely a mechanical problem in the rocker switch. I will follow up on this when I try again to fix it. My solution so far is to avoid darkness.