An easy one for you all - pulsating lights?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
supplyguy

An easy one for you all - pulsating lights?

Post by supplyguy »

Have rarely driven my car at night, but last night I put 200 miles on it in the dark. Was quickly reminded of an irritating electrical problem. My headlights and dash lights pulsate rhythmically non-stop when cruising down the highway. Not brighter with more RPM's and dimmer when the drop off.....just pulsating. Looks a little goofy and annoying. My hunch is you all are familiar with this?
So Cal Mark

Re: An easy one for you all - pulsating lights?

Post by So Cal Mark »

that is usually caused by an overloaded circuit. Of course, the first step is to clean all of the connections and grounds including the fuse box. I'd also check the battery connections and test the charging system. It's a good idea to do the relay upgrade on the lights, not only will your lights be bright enough to actually see, but the headlight switch will last much longer
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

Absolutely agree on the relay for the lights! What a difference that made! Just be sure to fully test them for at least 1/2 hour during the day in case they fail on a dark, twisty back road on a moonless night at high speed. Ask me how I know :roll:
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
supplyguy

Post by supplyguy »

Thanks, gentlemen. Read all about the brown wire and headlight relay fixes and so wanted to do them, but had been having no problems with brightness. Guess it is time to learn these mods!