Gas gauge

Gotta love that wiring . . .
beater

Gas gauge

Post by beater »

Well I put a new fuel sending/pickup unit in the tank today and for the first time in the twelve years I've had my spider the gas gauge is workng! Compared to other cars I've done this was a piece of cake.It is still however a little jumpy at times, is this normal for these?
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Re: Gas gauge

Post by bradartigue »

beater wrote:Well I put a new fuel sending/pickup unit in the tank today and for the first time in the twelve years I've had my spider the gas gauge is workng! Compared to other cars I've done this was a piece of cake.It is still however a little jumpy at times, is this normal for these?

They are normally very jumpy. Every bump, anything that makes the gas move in the tank moves the float. Most old cars do this, especially the Italian ones (since they all use the same gauge from Veglia!)
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the float isn't dampened, and that's the reason the potentiometer wears out on the sending unit
beater

Post by beater »

Well if Brad and Mark say so then I'm a believer. Makes sense as the float, floats. Regardless at least now I don't have to set my odometer every time I fill up :)!