tach not working

Gotta love that wiring . . .
spyder82

tach not working

Post by spyder82 »

whats the piont of haveing an awsome rag top 5 speed without a tach? I've cleaned and coated all the grounds, I've reconnected the wires that were cut by the previous owner to install the stereo and still noting. Sould I just buy a new tach? or is there a way to bench check it? Or has anyone out there had a simalare issue with the tach?

Your thoughts please.........I'll try and get some pics of Mi Machina and post this afternoon
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Re: tach not working

Post by RRoller123 »

I think a common mode of failure on these is the pickup in the distributor? Wires are delicate and break in there?
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

spyder82 wrote:whats the piont of haveing an awsome rag top 5 speed without a tach? I've cleaned and coated all the grounds, I've reconnected the wires that were cut by the previous owner to install the stereo and still noting. Sould I just buy a new tach? or is there a way to bench check it? Or has anyone out there had a simalare issue with the tach?

Your thoughts please.........I'll try and get some pics of Mi Machina and post this afternoon

Honestly, and this is an aside, I've had more trouble with the tachs made 1981 - 1985 than any others. They seem to fail regularly, whereas I've never had an earlier type fail. I'm not sure what changed, Veglia made the same basic, almost accurate tach for decades, and these look the same as the earlier ones. Whatever...I'm rambling.

Do you have an auxiliary tachometer? If so you can test the tach at the wiring behind it. If not, you may want to invest in one. They are usually pretty cheap and help a lot when tuning the car, since the Veglias are usually inaccurate, and you can hook the auxiliary one directly to the coil and see it while tuning the car.
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

Oh option B - remove the tach from the dashboard and wire it up directly to the coil. Easy enough to do and it will verify if the tach is working or not.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

The tach needs power on the yellow/black wire. Ground on the white/black wire and pulses from the coil brown wire. If you connect a test light or voltmeter across these terminals you can tell if the power and ground are present.
The brown wire becomes a brown/white wire on the car side of the tach connector. At the coil the brown/white wire connects to the same terminal as the brown/white wire for the ECU and the black wire for the electronic control module.

If you let us know where you are located maybe someone has a working tach they could loan you to be sure that is your problem before you purchase a new one.
sleggar3

Post by sleggar3 »

hey thanks guys for this thread helped alot i fixed my tach in 5 min my issue was simple backwards wires