Head lights and wipers

Gotta love that wiring . . .
profcucchi
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat 2000

Head lights and wipers

Post by profcucchi »

The head lights were working earlier in the day and the wipers worked when I bought it last week.

I toggled the fuses to no avail. The aluminum connectors seem all good. Should I just make the switch to copper and see how that goes? At 35 cents each, I'm not losing sleep here on them.
1979 Fiat 2000 "Luigi"
tartan18
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Head lights and wipers

Post by tartan18 »

Chances are that it isn't a bad fuse but a bad ground. Our cars are famous for having corroded grounds. Clean them up and that might solve your problem. It could also be due to corrosion on the related fuses. Disconnect the battery then use a brass brush on the fuse attachment clips. Smear a bit of dielectric grease on the contacts to prevent future trouble.
Jim MacKenzie
1975 Fiat Spider
Finest Italian Automotive Technology
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I don't think you have a single problem or cause of your problem here. The headlight are fused with a separate fuse for each sides high and low beam for a total of 4 fuses. The windshield wipers have a separate fuse from the headlights. The left side headlight grounds at the left fender ground pod and the right side headlight and windshield wiper grounds on the right fender ground pod. It is easy to look and feel if the grounds are in place and tight
I think I would check the connector on the back of the ignition switch, Then the connectors for the steering wheel switches they are located behind the instrument cluster.
Check for headlight voltage on the 2 pin connectors one on each side where the headlight bucket plugs into the car harness. The connectors are located in engine compartment in the area of the ground pods usually a little closer to the fire wall. Right hand wire colors are green and gray. Left hand are Gray/black green/black.
Have you tried moving the wiper switch in the center of the dash from low to high speed?? If this switch fails or a wire gets pulled off the wipers can't work. I think the most common wiper failure is a frozen mechanical mechanism. To fix that you have to remove the cowl forward of the windshield.

Hope this helps
profcucchi
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat 2000

Post by profcucchi »

spider2081 wrote:I don't think you have a single problem or cause of your problem here. The headlight are fused with a separate fuse for each sides high and low beam for a total of 4 fuses. The windshield wipers have a separate fuse from the headlights. The left side headlight grounds at the left fender ground pod and the right side headlight and windshield wiper grounds on the right fender ground pod. It is easy to look and feel if the grounds are in place and tight
I think I would check the connector on the back of the ignition switch, Then the connectors for the steering wheel switches they are located behind the instrument cluster.
Check for headlight voltage on the 2 pin connectors one on each side where the headlight bucket plugs into the car harness. The connectors are located in engine compartment in the area of the ground pods usually a little closer to the fire wall. Right hand wire colors are green and gray. Left hand are Gray/black green/black.
Have you tried moving the wiper switch in the center of the dash from low to high speed?? If this switch fails or a wire gets pulled off the wipers can't work. I think the most common wiper failure is a frozen mechanical mechanism. To fix that you have to remove the cowl forward of the windshield.

Hope this helps
I'll try cleaning first, then I'll use your post to check everything else. Thanks for the detail; this is why I come to this site. :D

Forgot to ask: where are the grounds? No, really, I have no clue!
1979 Fiat 2000 "Luigi"