Steering Lock

Gotta love that wiring . . .
domenico105G

Steering Lock

Post by domenico105G »

Hi
am a new member and have been fascinated by all the detailed info and knowledge out there!
i have a 1969 spider and just before summer the steering locked as i was about to drive it out of my garage.

i have removed the ignition barrel and its still locked!!?? -
-any ideas?
there is nothing i can see in the slot where the lock engages - just the smooth shaft of the steering

Dom
Fi8spider
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Steering Lock

Post by Fi8spider »

Not good Dom, not good at all.
I cant say i've heard of that before, maybe I have but I can't remember.

Before you go tearing the key barrel/lock off to check if the locking device is faulty just make sure that nothing is fouling on the steering linkages under the car.

If the lock does have to come out there is a trick to it which I'm sure others will chime in to help with as it's been a while since I've removed one. Something about a snap bolt and having to depress something or other to disengage the steering lock from the column.

Welcome mate.
domenico105G

Re: Steering Lock

Post by domenico105G »

Thanks for the reply

...have already taken out the lock mechanism - which came out relatively easy! (there is a small hole by the ignition key entry - you fiddle about inside that with the key in and it comes out a treat)
thats what i dont understand now? - is there possibly anything else inside the shaft that can lock the steering ( it actually moves left to right by about 5or 10deg only)

have checked linkages etc - raised car and tried to move wheels but no go.

i am begining to suspect something broken in the steering box itself...no?

how easy is it to remove the upper part of the column and eliminate which end is at fault?

any suggestions welcome

Dom