Turn signal canceling not working

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Rascal

Turn signal canceling not working

Post by Rascal »

The turn signal canceling doesn't work on my 1970 spider. How do I fix it?
My Haynes manual doesn't seem to address that. Do I have to pull the steering whel to access it?

thanks
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: Turn signal canceling not working

Post by azruss »

dont think you need to pull the wheel. you do need to remove the upper and lower plastic pieces. the release is part of the 3 arm cluster. it is a ring with a couple of bumps on it. watch it work and see what the issue is.
Rascal

Post by Rascal »

I pulled the covers and noticed the plastic springy thing on the turn signal lever is broken.
Looks like I'l have to pull the steering wheel to replace it. I can't tell if can be replace by itself or is integral with the turn signal lever.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

I've replaced the springs and the actuating arms before on several occasions. It's not an easy process as you have to completely disassemble the column switch assembly. There are spring loaded balls and critical wire routing that make it difficult to put back together. Although it looks accessible from the top, you will break it trying to get it out. Unless you have a few spare column switch assemblies lying around its not worth the price of a new one. It's a tragic demise of an otherwise good part, simply for a tiny spring.

Keep your old one. A good use for the old one is to install it when you are doing interior wiring. A few years ago I was installing a radio, or head light relays, I can't recall exactly. I touched something or connected the wrong wires and fried the column switch.
Rascal

Post by Rascal »

Maybe I can fabricate a clip end piece and glue it on without removing the assembly (wishfull thinking)
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

I never really thought about doing it because I always had a few spares, but I'm sure you could come up with a spring fix done from the top without having to completely dissassembling the assembly. If you can find two very tiny extension springs, then drill a tiny hole in each arm for one end of the spring then secure the other end of the spring with a tiny screw. Watch how deep and where you drill into that base plate. You are looking to keep the arms spread open.
Rascal

Post by Rascal »

The piece that's broken is attached to or part of the turn signal lever itself, I can't quite see.
It's the semi-circle piece with hooks that the nubs on the steering wheel pushes on when the wheel returns from a turn.
One of the hooks is broken.
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

Rascal wrote:The turn signal canceling doesn't work on my 1970 spider. How do I fix it?
My Haynes manual doesn't seem to address that. Do I have to pull the steering whel to access it?

thanks
I think I have one from an early Spider, the whole assembly I mean. I'll give it to you for the price of shipping, I don't know what works or not on it, but it is intact.
Rascal

Post by Rascal »

Wow, that would be great, thanks!