power / auto windows upgrade

Gotta love that wiring . . .
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

power / auto windows upgrade

Post by divace73 »

G'Day All

Has anybody out there successfully replaced the normal hand winder with an aftermarket power window set up (without looking odd)?
I have seen the auto wire set up but at a considerable cost and was thinking if it is possible to use something like the Mazda Miata (MX5 in our market) window set up, I realise more than likely it will be a scissor type of setup but is it worth researching?
Has anybody else been through the exercise?
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Re: power / auto windows upgrade

Post by bradartigue »

divace73 wrote:G'Day All

Has anybody out there successfully replaced the normal hand winder with an aftermarket power window set up (without looking odd)?
I have seen the auto wire set up but at a considerable cost and was thinking if it is possible to use something like the Mazda Miata (MX5 in our market) window set up, I realise more than likely it will be a scissor type of setup but is it worth researching?
Has anybody else been through the exercise?
I've used the factory equipment to install them (they were stock on 82 LE and optional from around 1980). Wasn't a big deal to install, the wiring is there on later cars and the switches are available new. The motors are slow and draw quite a bit of power (typical no-relay design of FIATs). One of the vendors sold a scissor-type setup for a while, but I've never seen it installed.

For the most part, not worth the trouble.
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

I do have the wiring for the auto windows on my 1980, now that you mention it, I do remember one of the vendors having the the scissor type as a replacment, but do remember they we quite pricey at the time (most probably when the Aussie dollar wasn't worth anything??) do you remember who it was??
BTW what ever happened to Linear Rossa, was it them???
I know it may not be worth it, just one of those 'I wonder if I can" idea.
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

divace73 wrote:I do have the wiring for the auto windows on my 1980, now that you mention it, I do remember one of the vendors having the the scissor type as a replacment, but do remember they we quite pricey at the time (most probably when the Aussie dollar wasn't worth anything??) do you remember who it was??
BTW what ever happened to Linear Rossa, was it them???
I know it may not be worth it, just one of those 'I wonder if I can" idea.
I recall Bruce had a picture of the scissor type on his website but otherwise I don't know.

Linearossa is long gone. Oddly enough when they left the market the rate of used parts being sold as new, and refusals for returns of defective, used, and broken parts, went way down.