Burned-up alternator... help?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Burned-up alternator... help?

Post by maytag »

Ok.... this'll be Majic's chance to poke me in the eye and say "I told ya so". :cry:

There's something wrong with my wiring.

Everything was great, and hunky-dorey. I've got a temp gauge and a oil pressure gauge that haven't worked correctly yet, but I'm working through bugs.

So last week, I installed the distributorless ignition from Mark (love it, by the way).
the installation instructions were very specific about it needing to be grounded well, so I pulled a new ground wire from the motor / block over to the firewall and grounded it all there.

I noticed my non-working oil gauge started working backwards .... but as I say, I'm still getting to the little stuff. It hovers around 1/4 gauge at idle, and when I rev it, the needle swings left, back past / under zero.

Nex tthing you know, the alternator quits charging. Now, it's a 35 year old alternator, so I shrugged and bought Mark's new 95a unit.
now, a day later, it has quit charging as well.

So.... adding 2 and 7, I get 13. I think I've got a problem of something going to ground, and burning-out the alt. I'm really hoping its' just the regulator by the way: mark, can I replace that regulator?
So somebody help me think through this?

I'm getting ready to pull the dash again tomorrow. and if I do, I'll probably break-out the CAT5 and re-wire it.

I guess, what I need to know, is there a way to test this, to see where I'm going to ground? Can I disconnect the battery and measure resistance between the + and - cables? or?

how would y'all smarter people go about trouble-shooting this?
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: Burned-up alternator... help?

Post by azruss »

If you think this all started with installing the new ignition, i would look at the wiring there.
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

azruss wrote:If you think this all started with installing the new ignition, i would look at the wiring there.
Ok.... But the question is: how do i know when I've found the problem?
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I'd start with testing voltage at the battery. I doubt the ign wiring is at fault, it only uses the power wire that energized the original coil. Test power to the alternator, the warning light has to work to energize the alternator.