Weird Wiring ** Now A Dead Alternator? **

Gotta love that wiring . . .
noKYspider

Weird Wiring ** Now A Dead Alternator? **

Post by noKYspider »

Recently I put in a modern radio and now I'm having issues in my 75 Spider. Here's what I did and what the car is doing now. I got out my volt meter when doing my install and found what I though were constant power and switched power sources in the center of the dash to wire into. I wired my radio into these sources, one was off the cigar lighter and the other was in a wiring harness port. After getting everything wired up I turned the car on, set the radio presets, went for a drive, and everything was great. I got home, turned the car off, turned it back on the check the radio memory and everything was gone. Obviously what I thought was constant power was not so I need to fix that.

Here's where things get weird:
  • •Now the car isn't charging the battery while it's running
    •The light on the bottom of the tach is constantly on indicating the battery isn't charging
    •The radio switched off when I turned the headlights off tonight
    •The wiper switch on the steering wheel used to be off in a different position, now off is all the way up
    •All of this started after the radio install
I'm thinking of bypassing the original car wiring all together and wiring everything to the battery. My thought is that if I undo everything and put the wiring back the way I found it then I'll fix the problem. One other thing, from the center wiring harness out toward the passenger side of the car under the dash there was a wiring harness that was connected to nothing. It had 10-20 wires in it but they didn't go anywhere so I unhooked them and took the harness out. Could that be part of the problem? If you have any thoughts I'd greatly appreciate them. Thanks!
Last edited by noKYspider on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmwhiteoak
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Re: Weird Wiring

Post by dmwhiteoak »

Plug the harness back in and see if that solves it. I powered my stereo from the door chime and a constant hot for memory from the fuse box.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Check your fuses. If fuse fails charge light comes on. Keith
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

All 124s were factory pre-wired for a radio. There is a simple plug behind where the radio should be that lets you run the power (switched +, -) and the front speakers. Later models added plugs for the antenna. None had a constant +12V but you can tap it from the cigarette lighter.

It should be no more complex than that, and you don't have to cut anything to do the work. Get a wiring diagram (http://www.artigue.com/fiat) and trace things back.

I've seen more cars with "direct wiring" and can't figure out why they did it, since everything you need is right there.
noKYspider

Post by noKYspider »

The wiring in my car is goofy at best. I went out there and checked the fuses and all were good, plugged the wiring harness back in and that didn't fix it, completely unwired the radio and that didn't fix it, and even replugged the courtesy light and that didn't fix it. All of these potential remedies still left the charge light on. Is it possible that I did something that would have killed the alternator from just installing a radio?

By the way, the wiring in my car is nowhere near pristine. The previous owner(s) had messed with the wiring, especially in the ignition switch area so things aren't up to factory spec (you can see that in another post here http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18878 ). I've also found an extra wire or two and odd splices behind the radio so hopefully they hadn't fixed something in the past that I've undone by mistake. If I drive down to AutoZone will they be able to check the alternator to see if it's dead? If it is I can pilfer one from my parts car. Honestly I think that would be the best scenario right now.
noKYspider

Re: Weird Wiring ** Now A Dead Alternator? **

Post by noKYspider »

Okay, I have disconnected everything involved with the radio and put the wiring back as best as I can remember to the way I found it. That being said the battery still isn't charging. I charged it up using the wall charger and then drove down to Advance to get an electrical check. The battery turned out to be okay but a little low (I assume from the alternator not recharging it after starting the car) and the alternator came back as being weak. Here's the photo of the check.

Obviously there's something wrong with the charging system now. Is it possible that something I did in installing the radio would have killed the alternator? I have one on the parts car that I can put on the good car but I want to make sure there's not something else I'm overlooking before going through that process. One other thing about that, the parts car is a 77 and the good car is a 75, should the alternators be interchangeable? Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions so far.
Rascal

Post by Rascal »

I had a similar problem, messed with the radio wiring and the charging light no longer went off.
I had inadvertently puled a wire loose from the fuse block. :oops:
noKYspider

Post by noKYspider »

Rascal wrote:I had a similar problem, messed with the radio wiring and the charging light no longer went off.
I had inadvertently puled a wire loose from the fuse block. :oops:
Do you remember which one? How did you solve the problem? Did it take a new alternator?