First "non start" issue

Gotta love that wiring . . .
georgeramos
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider 1608

First "non start" issue

Post by georgeramos »

This morning my car would not start. At first it cranked like normal but it quickly seemed like the battery was drained. You all know the sound. It would turn over in a very tired way then fade away. But every now and then it would seem like a spark would "jump' to life and eventually it started. Then I decided to adjust my carb to try & get a better idle and it ended up cutting off. Went to fire it back up and the same thing happened. Seemed dead, tried a few times over about 10 minutes. As my wife was pulling her CRV up to the hood I tried it again and that "stray" spark fired it up again. Anyone experience this?

BTW, it was the chilliest morning Ive had it out of the garage since Ive owned it but it wasnt cold by any means.

Thanks

George
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Re: First "non start" issue

Post by fiat218 »

georgeramos wrote:This morning my car would not start. At first it cranked like normal but it quickly seemed like the battery was drained. You all know the sound. It would turn over in a very tired way then fade away. But every now and then it would seem like a spark would "jump' to life and eventually it started. Then I decided to adjust my carb to try & get a better idle and it ended up cutting off. Went to fire it back up and the same thing happened. Seemed dead, tried a few times over about 10 minutes. As my wife was pulling her CRV up to the hood I tried it again and that "stray" spark fired it up again. Anyone experience this?

BTW, it was the chilliest morning Ive had it out of the garage since Ive owned it but it wasnt cold by any means.

Thanks

George
Chilly? Where u at
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider
georgeramos

Post by georgeramos »

Portland, OR and by chilly I mean maybe 50...but it warms to 80 by mid day. I dont think that would affect anything as my previous Spider ownership took place in Hoboken, NJ. We had a few chilly days there too. :)
georgeramos

Post by georgeramos »

The car started running really crappy again, especially at idle. This was the reason I decided to rebuild (which became a swap) my carb in the first place. Anyhow, checked the points and the gap had reduced down to nearly nothing. re-gapped them and it is running better than ever at the moment. There is a little bit of play in the distributor shaft but it doesnt seem excessive. There is a local shop that specializes in rebuilding dizzys so im gonna give them a call tomorrow to get a quote. i already bought the bushings from AutoRicambi. I am pretty excited about the progress,especially since our weather is PERFECT these days.
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

So, I'd suggest ding a couple of checks NOW, while it is running well.
First, check your charging system. Make sure you're getting a good charge. Also have your battery checked. And check all the cables.
that way, you can eliminate those things if your issue returns. (or take measurements to compare)
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
georgeramos

Post by georgeramos »

Thanks Maytag. One other item to note: occasionally when I start it up I get a big CLONK when I turn the key. It almost always turns over and starts the next try. Could this be a starter and/or solenoid symptom?

Oh, how do I check the charging system?

George
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Clunk??? make sure starter bolted up tight.
burlybryan
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by burlybryan »

George, when my battery was really drained after sitting for some time the first crank made a loud solenoid screech. Maybe this is what you heard. Whats the rest voltage on the battery?
burlybryan
'82 Spider 2000 FI
'12 500 Sport (Verde Oliva) - wife's daily driver - when it's not being fixed at the dealer...
georgeramos

Post by georgeramos »

looks like 13volts? its wierd but the sound seems like a clunk but doesnt seem like something loose (although i will check that the starter bolts are tight)

Its a rare occurrence but I will try to be really aware if it happens again.

thanks gang

George
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

Order a distributor seal, too. Yours is probably toast by now.
http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10400
georgeramos

Post by georgeramos »

That's an awesome tutorial Bernie, thanks. :D