Solenoid or Starter

Gotta love that wiring . . .
clarkedj
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124

Solenoid or Starter

Post by clarkedj »

Hey guys,

Trying to troubleshoot a problem with either the starter or solenoid. My sons 78 1800 started having problems about a week ago which he did not bother to tell me about until I decided to steal his car this afternoon for a joy ride. After having an exhilarating drive around lake lanier in Atlanta I decided to stop for a pop or two. When I tried to start the car I got nothing. Dashboard lights and starter tried but nothing. I clutch started the car and took to advanced auto to test battery, alt, and starter. Battery had bad cell so I replaced it. Cranked the car checked the Alt. all was good. Stop the car to check the starter, crank and nothing, double checked the new battery looked good. Clutch started the car drove home and began looking things over. According to my son he has been having the starting issue for the last week on and off. I saw kMead post good info but did not go far enough to explain how to test the solenoid vs the starter. I read anoth post that said to disconnect the red wire terminal from starter and make a 3' wire to connect the starter terminal to the back of the alternator. Since the head is on getting to that terminal and holding a wire to it will be a challenge. Can I disconnect at the wire junction and short that to the alternator? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
clarkedj
404-234-7366
Thanks

Ed Clark
404-234-7366
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Re: Solenoid or Starter

Post by divace73 »

In my experience I used to get that issue when the car and weather was warm to hot, what it ended up being is that my ignition switch had built up that much resistance over time that the starter motor was getting about 8 volts. I pulled apart my ignition switch, gave it a good clean and also performed the brown wire fix, worked great ever since, I have also upgraded my amp with one of mark's units.

A quick thing to try is the two wires that come from the starter motor into the cabin, do a quick clean on the connection ad see if this helps...
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
clarkedj

Post by clarkedj »

Dave,

Thanks for the response. As a matter of fact he told me it happens when the car gets hot or warmed up. Iwill give your suggestion a shot. I just did the brown wire fix about 2 months ago to brighten up the headlights.

Thanks

clarkedj
Thanks

Ed Clark
404-234-7366
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Twice this summer my Fiat has failed to crank. Once I just pushed it, next time waited a minute and it took right off.

Don't mess with "is it starter or solenoid" if you are gonna change one, change both.
Next time it fails, hope you have someone with you, have helper hold key in "crank" position OUT OF GEAR FOOT HARD ON BRAKE then get under hood and using whatever you can--hammer--extension--tire iron ( figure this out BEFORE it quits) smack starter, see if it doesn't take off and crank. If it does, starter NG.
Good luck,
Keith
clarkedj

Post by clarkedj »

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Decided to drop a new starter in and voila off and running again.

Thanks for the help

Clarkedj
404-234-7366
Thanks

Ed Clark
404-234-7366