Battery gets drained when car is off.

Gotta love that wiring . . .
chuckcloutier

Battery gets drained when car is off.

Post by chuckcloutier »

Replaced the ignition switch, something is draining my new battery when the car is off. 1981 FI.
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Battery gets drained when car is off.

Post by aj81spider »

Do you have a clock?

My 1981's clock will drain the battery so it won't start in about 3 weeks of inactivity. I put a disconnect on the battery so whenever I'm going to let it sit more than a week I disconnect. I have to reset the clock, but it's better than having to recharge the battery.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Did this happen before or after ign switch??
How long does it take to drain so it won't start??
Does your radio turn on with the key out??
Keith
chuckcloutier

Post by chuckcloutier »

I have a clock. Maybe that's it. It seems like it started after replacing the Ig switch. The car is 250 miles away in Michigan but I will see it this weekend and continue the quest. No radio, yet. I charged up the battery 3 weeks ago to full and then disconnected it. If it's drained this time, it's a bad battery (even though it's new). But I really think something is drawing power, might just be the clock
courtenay
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by courtenay »

I have an intelligent battery tender that I connect to my car whenever I park it in the garage. Keeps the battery charged - but not overcharged - all the time.
Bruce Shearer
'80 Spider Fi
'10 Volvo XC70
'06 GMC 1 Ton PU
'72 Spider a long, long time ago
76was124
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by 76was124 »

It might be good to see how much current is being drawn with everything off.

If you have a muti meter with dc amps, you could put it in series with the battery + terminal. Make sure it's fused at at least an amp.

Also make sure everything is off first, headlight switch, trunk light and door switches etc.

If you have a friend who can watch the meter, sit in the car and then pull the clock fuse and or other ones (replacing them before pulling the next one) to to see what happens to the currentdraw with each until you find the circuit drawing too much current.
Current 81 Spider 2000
Previous 76 Spider
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

chuckcloutier wrote:I have a clock. Maybe that's it. It seems like it started after replacing the Ig switch. The car is 250 miles away in Michigan but I will see it this weekend and continue the quest. No radio, yet. I charged up the battery 3 weeks ago to full and then disconnected it. If it's drained this time, it's a bad battery (even though it's new). But I really think something is drawing power, might just be the clock
I find the clocks draw quite a bit more power with age, probably the poor little motor in there fighting corrosion. I also find the best thing to do with the Veglia clock is to throw it away and replace it with an oil pressure gauge. Unless, of course, you're in the concours d'Elegance, in which you need your clock or the highly trained judge will notice and deduct points.