Battery boiling over

Gotta love that wiring . . .
beater

Battery boiling over

Post by beater »

My battery is boiling over. It is constantly causing corrosion and has actually ate a hole in the metal behind it. I know first thought is over charging due to a faulty regulator but I just got the alternator back from a rebuild and they said it checked out fine. Funny thing is this is the second rebuild in about 5,000 miles. Same shop and this time they said the brushes were burned down to nothing. Thankfully they did the second fix for free but something must be up. It is on a 1977 spider.
Paul
redcars
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Battery boiling over

Post by redcars »

If your battery is boiling over then you have to much voltage. Put a volt meter on it when it is running. You don't want more than 14.5 volts. I would be very supprised if you don't have over 15 volts. Let us know what you find out.
1987 Lotus Super 7 clone
1981 Fiat Spider 2000 AT
1982 Fiat Spider 2000 5sd
1970 Fiat Coupe
blurple124
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by blurple124 »

I would be pretty concerned about that battery acid. You can't just wash it off, it will continue to corrode and come back...trust me. :cry:

You need to neutralize the acid. Baking soda and water will work well. Once you have done this, you can treat your rust.

Of course, you should really find the problem with the battery first!
Charlie
1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800 - Antonia
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Like twas said, ya gotta check voltage first. What is it?/
Some batteries, like those made by Exide (NAPA) are very prone to gassing and will cause issues even with a normal system. What kind of battery?
Keith
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

save your car. get that battery in a plastic box!!!!!
beater

Post by beater »

Well my mechanic checked voltage running and it was not over 14.5 that's what puzzling. I will check the make of the battery tomorrow. I can't fit a plastic box in under the cover but what i did was cut a marine one down and used the back and base to get the battery away from the metal of the car.