Wiper Motors

Gotta love that wiring . . .
FirstSpider

Wiper Motors

Post by FirstSpider »

As with many Spiders my wiper motors have kicked the bucket, and I've been looking at replacements, but my question is will units from either the 850 Spider or the X1/9 work in mine? thanks for your help.
EBmez

Re: Wiper Motors

Post by EBmez »

I don't know about units from 850s or X1/9s, but I had the same problem on my 79 Spider. The big thing for me was finding a wiper motor that had the same six-wire configuration (I'm still not sure what the difference is, but I know it wasn't able to be swapped for a five-wire). Here's what I found:

~ Advance Auto, Autozone, Pep Boys and other major chains (in the US) have the part in their system as a rebuilt unit from Cardone. However, Cardone seems to not actually rebuilt them without it being a request, so they can't actually order a unit per se.

~ NAPA Auto Parts has a stock of them in their distribution center(s) of five-wire units (this was only a month or two ago, so I think the info is still pretty good). They have no six-wire.

~ If you have a six-wire, NAPA will take it and send it to have it rebuilt (by Cardone). There's an 80% chance it can be rebuilt (mine, however, could not). My understanding was it would be the same price to have yours rebuilt as for a rebuilt unit you buy from them. The only difference is time. Also, I was not charged anything when mine came back not being able to be done.

~ My only option was to contact Danny at Fun Imported Auto and Toys (in CT) and get a new one. This was pricier (of course), but I have the peace of mind that it's new and not a 30-odd year old unit that's been rehabbed. This is also advantageous because I don't plan to drive my Spider in much inclement weather, so it's not as though the wipers are going to get a lot of use. And when it does rain, I want to know they're going to work.

Hope this helps! I've only been properly working on this for a few months (and sporadically at best), but it feels good to be able to impart some knowledge I've already gained!
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

The motor itself was used in lots of cars made by FIAT and Lancia in the 70s and 80s. The connectors are usually different though, so you can expect to cut some wires and figure things out on your own. The best of the bunch I ever installed has its own, separate ground wire instead of using a long run like the Spider does from the factory. But I have no idea which car it came from.

Csaba stocks a reasonably priced single speed replacement that works fine. Since the slow speed setting on the stock motors is kind of a joke this works fine for most people.
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

A PO of my car used a VW Rabbit unit. I don;t know what year, but it is marked "VW Rabbit" on it. He had to replace the wiring connector.
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
redcars
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by redcars »

You take a 5 wire unit apart and a six wire unit apart and by looking at them make the 5 wire unit into a six wire unit. I did this about 2 years ago and that is a much detail as my memory will get you. This works as long as you are good at winging it.
1987 Lotus Super 7 clone
1981 Fiat Spider 2000 AT
1982 Fiat Spider 2000 5sd
1970 Fiat Coupe