Non Functioning Gas Gague

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Philbilly

Non Functioning Gas Gague

Post by Philbilly »

Greetings,

I just purchased an 82 Fiat Spider this last Friday and I am loving it. I am mechanically inclined....but definitely a newbie, been many years since I worked on cars.

My gas gauge is not working. It doesn't register anything. I have searched the forum and came up with this line of troubleshooting.

1. Checked the fuse, it's OK but there are a number of things using the same fuse and all working.

2. I did pull the fuel sending unit. It looks rather old and crusty but I can't tell if that is the issue or not.

3. I did pull the instrument panel and check the connections to the fuel gauge. Although I could only pull the panel out a little and didn't get a good look at the connections. How do you pull it all the way out? The steering wheel seems to be in the way? Do you have to pull the steering wheel to get good access? I'd really like to get better access to review the connections.

4. I haven't check and cleaned the grounds yet. This is my next challenge. As grounds seem like a usual culprit.

Any advice is appreciated!
Phil
bobplyler
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Re: Non Functioning Gas Gague

Post by bobplyler »

Probably the sending unit.
1979 Fiat Spider (since new)
2005 Lincoln LS (the wife's car)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier (daily driver)
1999 Honda Shadow VLX 600
1972 Grumman Traveller 5895L (long gone).
spider82matt

Post by spider82matt »

If you have the sending unit out pop the cover off of the box the fulcrum lever goes in.. there should be a wire coiled down the side and the float arm moves up and down with a electric contact rolling up and down coiled wire. If those wires are broken replace the unit. Most of our vendors sell for around 40 bucks.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

The fuel sender has 2 wires on it. The Grey/red wire is for the low level light in the gauge. The blue/yellow wire is for the level of fuel. If you remove the blue/yellow wire from the sender and all else is correct the needle on the gauge should go beyond full. If you momentarily ground that wire the gauge should read empty. If you don't get these results something else is wrong. The sender could still be bad in addition to the other problem. Grounding the Grey/red wire should light the orange low fuel light in the gauge.

Hope this helps
Philbilly

Post by Philbilly »

I replaced the sending unit and that fixed the issue. We'll see how the gauge works now. Show's a half tank which is about right. I guess I'll have to go drive it the rest of the day to see if it registers correctly.

Thanks for the help!

Phil