78' starter/ignition switch problem

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Jbrazil

78' starter/ignition switch problem

Post by Jbrazil »

I just got a 78 spider two weekends ago and the day before I got it the guy I got it from said he drove it around all day. Well when it gets to my house it wouldn't start with the key, so we clutch started it and it started right up. A few days pass as I'm trying to figure out what is going on, I bought a starter because my battery is new and everything else seemed fine. I mess with it the next day and it start up with the key, new starter still in the mail. I drive it around all day and end up burning my coil wire so the next day I replace it and try to start it and nothing again. Well tonight I replaced the starter and it started right up turned it off, and started her right back up, a couple times, all seemed good. Talk on the phone for about 20 min and try to start her again and nothing!! It doesn't even click or anything when it does that.

My next move is going to be toward the ignition switch I guess...

Does anyone have any other suggestions or is anyone familiar with what is going on? I am new to fiat, and love it, but love it even more when it will start by the key.
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Re: 78' starter/ignition switch problem

Post by kmead »

Welcome to the forum, getting any old car to necome a reliable source of enjoyment can be a bit overwhelming. You have come to a great community of folks who are very willing to lend a hand. Glad to have you join is.

So first let's define what is going on. You say won't start, does this mean the engine is turning over and not starting or that the starter will not turn over the engine? Does the car start running if the starter turns over the engine? The more clearly you can define the problem, the better we can help you with accurate suggestions for fixing the problem.

There are a number of things that can cause these issues, so to keep your sanity and ours :) we need to understand the problem and from there move through the steps to diagnose the problem. This will save you money and time.

I am assuming that when you turn the key to the start position the starter is not always turning the engine over. So we will start there.

This is an old car so you want to start with the basics. Check to see that you have a good ground to the engine to the frame of the car and from the frame of the car to the battery. Often times the engine ground is loose, missing or in bad condition, the engine ground is a braided copper cable that goes from an engine transmission bolt to a bolt on the body underneath the car. I personally add a new cable from one of the engine mount studs to a bumper mount bolt, I also replace the negative lead in the trunk as these have been on and off the battery multiple times. The same for all the other connections, is the hot lead on the battery tight? is the hot lead on the starter tightly bolted down?

Take a test light and pull the wire from the starter solenoid, with the test light attached have someone turn the key to the start position, does it have power? Is it consistent? If yes to having consistent power from the ignition switch, does the female spade connection fit tightly to the solenoids spade connector? If it easily slips out, close the ears on the wires connector and put it back on. After doing this does the starter turn the engine over? If no then the starter may be toast, have a dead spot, need new brushes, or may need a new solenoid. If yes you should be good to go.

If there is not consistent power to the solenoid wire the ignition switch or the wire between the switch and the solenoid would be your next test subjects which since I am lazy I will wait until you get back to us to write up some diagnosis steps.

Some other things to do: buy a couple of manuals- Haynes is cheap and tends to show the procedures decently, the Brooklands and the factory manual. Having different manuals will give you different perspectives and since the factory manual is written for pros (which we are not) the other manuals will help with understanding the procedures. Always go to the factory manual for torque values.

Go to Brad Artiques web site (google him he is famous) and download the wiring diagram from his site along with any other choice bits he has there. Highly recommended by all.

Good luck and I hope it helps.

Karl
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
blurple124
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: 78' starter/ignition switch problem

Post by blurple124 »

Karl has some excellent advice for you.
Based on my experience, I would also suggest checking this connection, as it was the faulty part of my starting circuit:
Charlie
1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800 - Antonia
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport