Which Shop Manual is best.

General chat about the car goes in here.
Bill Pottle

Which Shop Manual is best.

Post by Bill Pottle »

I'm wondering which shop manual is better from International Auto Parts the Fiat 124 Spider Shop Manual or Brookland's Shop manual for the 124 Spider? I need to change a head gasket and was wondering which is more helpful to a novice.

Thanks...
bandit

Post by bandit »

Hanyes is the best i think !

Dan
Danno

Post by Danno »

Bill, feel free to use the FSM that I've put at this link:

http://www.danielreinhardt.com/fiat/ServiceManual

at some point I'll make it more "downloader and adobe friendly" but for now it should help a little. there are also a lot of other sections, like transmission, suspension, electrical + other years electrical diagrams, brakes, body, clutch, etc etc etc. it took forever to scan these things, but now I figured out the system and use file renamers and whatnot so it's 1000x easier....
Last edited by Danno on Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Pottle

Manual

Post by Bill Pottle »

Danno,

I tried your link but it failed... Thanks anyway... for trying. What manual do you have? I had the Brooklands but misplaced it and want to replace it with the best one for beginner mechanics (step by step). I need this help if I'm gonna try to do the headgasket myself.

Thanks
Bill
Bill Pottle

Post by Bill Pottle »

Bandit,

Does the Haynes Manual give step by step instructions? I'm a beginer so I need the best (numbest) detail so my car doesn't show up on eBay being sold as parts. MY car is really perfect other than the head gasket and it sets in my garage under it's cover waiting for me to get the lead out of my butt and do something! I didn't use it last summer and I really miss the drives.

Thanks...
Bill
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Post by spiderrey »

the haynes manuel is pretty good. just used it to assemble a complete motor, and if u have any questions. just ask here. should clear up any problems that arise.
Bill Pottle

Post by Bill Pottle »

Thanks... Wish me luck on my project!

Later,
Bill
Danno

Re: Manual

Post by Danno »

Bill Pottle wrote:Danno,

I tried your link but it failed... Thanks anyway... for trying. What manual do you have?

Thanks
Bill
Bill, I fixed the link. apparently it was touchy and there was a case sensitive problem (Sericemanual needed to be ServiceManual....)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, to others what is the difference between these two books? Is the newer one (same one offered by IAP) basically just a republished version of the older?

Fiat 124 Coupe Spider and 2000 Spider Includes Turbo Spider 1971-1984 Shop Manual A156 by Mike Bishop
* Paperback: 284 pages
* Publisher: Clymer Pubns; 8th ed edition (January 1984)
* Language: English
* ISBN: 0892871563

Fiat 124 Coupe / Spider & 2000 Spider Includes Turbo Spider 1971-1984 Shop Manual by R. M. Clarke
Product Details
* Paperback
* Publisher: Brooklands Books (March 14, 1991)
* Language: English
* ISBN: 1855200791

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like I'll probably be getting a Haynes too, just wondered if it would be worth getting either of those two. The more the merrier IMO.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the IAP manual is just a reprint of the OEM manual, although it's paperback as opposed to a loose leaf binder like the original. I'll agree though, the more info sources the better
Bill Pottle

Post by Bill Pottle »

Danno,

Thanks. I got the PDF files. It will help to have another reference.

Mark,

I bookmarked your part company and the next time I need an exhaust system I'm gonna check with you.

Thanks..
Bill
Mad-Machine

Post by Mad-Machine »

I have every manual I could get my hands on. The more the merrier! I have found that if you look over the proceedure on all three books.. you can get a VERY good idea of what is going on.

There is always us here on the site too!
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

i also have a large assortment of manuels to reference. when ever i saw a manuel on ebay i didnt have, i went after it. sometimes theres one i already have. but its going for so little, i end up grabbing it.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

so YOU'RE the one that's hoarding the damn things!
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

tup, i even have 2 of crofts books. and when i figure out how to READ, IM GONNA START USING THEM........