Reconnected wiper, now car won't start

Gotta love that wiring . . .
giuliot60
Your car is a: 81 Fiat Turbo removed Spider

Reconnected wiper, now car won't start

Post by giuliot60 »

Hi all.

I'm going to need some help.

I was diagnosing my tick-tick problem, which was related to my (after market) wiper motor being disconnected. When I reconnected the power to the wiper, started to car, turned on the wipers, the wipers worked, but only at the high speed setting. After fooling with a loose wiper (aftermarket) switch wire (for various speeds) the car started stalling then cut out, now it doesn't start and most of the electricals don't work. Headlights, heater fan, and starter work, but directionals, hazard, horn, gas gauge, and I think fuel pump don't.

Is anyone aware of a terminal fuse in the power wire coming from the starter? Or why this happened?

Thanks!
Giulio/Charlotte
1st car '75 pistachio 128 sedan
Owned a '74 Spider, '68 Firebird, a '65 GTO convertible, and a customized '74 650 Yamaha
Currently own an '81 Turbo (removed) Spider
giuliot60

Re: Reconnected wiper, now car won't start

Post by giuliot60 »

UPDATE:

I wanted to post that the electrical/start issue was resolved.

Like the electrical diagnostic manual and others have said, many electrical problems are grounding faults. After doing some reading and diagram studying, I realized that all the components that weren't working were grounded to G3 (under dash by ignition switch). I just unscrewed the ground unit and screwed it back in and everything came back and the car started.

At this point, I don't know if any of it was related to the wipers, or if it was just coincidence. I'll post if I find out.

Much happier Spider owner.
Giulio/Charlotte
Owned a '74 Spider, '68 Firebird, a '65 GTO convertible, and a customized '74 650 Yamaha
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

Updated Update:

So it turns out it wasn't the G3 (or at least it wasn't the only culprit). The direct cause of my electrical issue was due to a loose connection on the back of my aftermarket amp meter gauge. A red and black wire going to the back of it, both heavy gauge wires, and the black wire nut was not completely tight. When I giggled it my clock second hand (that's what I use to gauge if my electrical demon is present) moved, then stopped when I moved it again.

I'm glad that's solved, and hopefully this info could help someone else's mystery electrical demon issues :evil: . At least it appears to be. It was terrible not knowing when it would decide to rear its ugly head.
Giulio/Charlotte
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

so far it sounds like all of your issues are due to poor installation of aftermarket parts :(
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

Yes. So I'm working on removing them and/or replacing with stock items. I just removed the ugly rectangular fog lights the PO installed above the bumper. He did have them installed with a relay though. I do eventually want to install some nice round ones in the grill or below it. Any advice before I purchase any?

I am very happy I found that loose connection on the amp meter gauge. I can drive it now without fear of it not starting away from home. At least for the meanwhile. :)

Thanks!
Giulio/Charlotte