New Flasher Relay=No change

Gotta love that wiring . . .
blurple124
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

New Flasher Relay=No change

Post by blurple124 »

My turn signals do not work, but I am fairly certain that they are getting power. I installed a new flasher relay, thinking this is the problem. This is the one I bought:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... ifier=6414

After the installation, there was no change. Turn signals still didn't work. What problem might I have?
Charlie
1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800 - Antonia
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
dantye
Your car is a: all gone

Re: New Flasher Relay=No change

Post by dantye »

blurple124 wrote:My turn signals do not work, but I am fairly certain that they are getting power. I installed a new flasher relay, thinking this is the problem. This is the one I bought:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... ifier=6414

After the installation, there was no change. Turn signals still didn't work. What problem might I have?
Not sure about the flasher, but, if I recall correctly, some Fiat turn signal lamps are dual purpose/dual filament, with two connections on the bottom of the bayonet base. If one of the two filaments is burned out, or if someone has replaced turn signal bulbs with a single filament bulb (this is what I finally discovered on my '81), they will not work.

Front ones are easy to check by just looking in the socket with the bulb out. Rear, if you have the PC board assemblies, can be a bit more problematic. I had to replace one circuit board and repair the other.

I hope this helps. :)
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

The relay (flasher) supplies power to the signal lights. If it is not clicking at all not even a single click I would suspect a voltage problem. I don't have my diagrams here but I would check for power at the flasher with either a voltmeter or trouble light. In this case I would prefer a trouble light and to check with the flasher plugged in and check with both left and then right turn signals selected. If I remember right the flasher is powered through the emergency flasher switch. In emergency flasher condition the power is from the "hot all the time" circuit and can be tested with the ignition switch off. With the emg flashers off the flasher gets its power from the "hot in start and run" circit si yur test have to be done with the ignition switch in the "run" position.

Hop this helps.
Just curious why you think the lights have power??
blurple124

Post by blurple124 »

Okay, thank you both. It might help to tell you what I have now tested.

With the ignition off, I tested the relay socket and there is continuity between the P and L junctions. The third being the "+" junction.

When I turn the running lights on, the bulbs in the side marker and turn signal lights turn on, which is why I believe power is getting there. I would say that this must mean single filament bulbs have been put in, but something tells me that the POs didn't bother to change anything on this car....ever. :roll: Anyway, this seems unlikely.

I was thinking that it would be a ground or lack of voltage at the flasher relay, since it doesn't click, but I am not sure where to trace the wires to find the problem. I do have Brad Artigue's diagrams, but physically I don't know where the wires go.
Charlie
dantye

Post by dantye »

Does your emergency flasher work? Before I repaired the toggle on mine, I had it wedged with a toothpick to keep it off, and I learned that if it is wedged in the wrong position, it prevents the turn signals from working. This would indicate that a properly working Emergency Flasher is a necessary part of the turn signal circuit.
This would be Worth checking
larrybarone

Post by larrybarone »

Can you tell me where the flasher module is?
I have problem with signals working also.
Where is the emergency flasher unit or are they one in the same ?
dantye

Post by dantye »

larrybarone wrote:Can you tell me where the flasher module is?
I have problem with signals working also.
Where is the emergency flasher unit or are they one in the same ?
On my '81, both run from the same flasher. It is under the dash between the ignition switch and the upper console. If the Emerg. flasher switch has been disconnected or is bad, it can affect the Turn Signal operation also. (see my Emergercy Flasher switch repair photos: http://fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18397)

Check all 4 Turn Signal bulbs first. Open circuit board conductors on the taillight assemblies can also cause these problems. If all that checks out, then it is likely the flasher unit.
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

TS function counts on the emergency flasher switch and wiring being OK. I have seen soooo many cars with EF switch wiring all goofed up. A search of the forum will bring up the correct wiring or find a good manual.
Keith
blurple124

Post by blurple124 »

I was considering just taking the gray lead straight to fuse 1 and bypassing the e-flashers just so I could have functional turn signals, then doing a proper fix in the winter when I had the time. Is there any reason this shouldn't work?
Charlie
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I just read through this post. I don't think your parking lights working has anything to do with your signal light circuit. If you suspect the previous owner has done something contributing to this problem I would start by checking for the proper light bulbs in the proper sockets. On my 81 the front signal/parking lights are 1034 bulbs. Some people use 1157 both are dual filament. The rear are 1063 which are hard to find so some people use 1156. The sockets need to be clean. Have you visually and physically checked the grounding pods where the front signals ground as well as the ground in the trunk for the rear signals? Checking resistance with an ohm meter in a light circuit is very misleading because the bulbs filament resistance is small and so the readings to ground look like shorts and the checks between points can actually be reading through the ground and not the wire you are checking. A much more accurate test is with a trouble or test light. If you do not have one Harbor Freight sells a nice one for about $5. Any auto parts store will carry them.
I purchased a flasher from AutoZone and it did not work. They confirmed it was the correct # in their computer and would not take it back because its an electrical component. I have no confidence they gave you the correct flasher.
I agree the hazard switch is a common problem but really believe you should check the voltage into the flasher with a test light before considering making wiring changes.
My wire diagram for an 81 does not show a gray wire in the flasher circuit neither does the general wire diagram in the Haynes Manual. I don't have a diagram for the 78 so maybe gray is the correct color for power into the + terminal of flasher. If that is the case connecting it directly to the fuse will power the flasher.
It is always possible to have more than one fault causing what appears to be a single problem so sometimes checking everything is the best course of action.
blurple124

Post by blurple124 »

Well, I did what I explained above, and sure enough, the turn signals work!! There was no problem with the flasher, it was the emergency flasher switch that was doing it.

Now, however, my right turn signals are not working! Left is fine, but when I turn on the right, the relay clicks once, then not at all. I might have to enter into NASCAR if all I can do is turn left... :roll:
Charlie
dantye

Post by dantye »

blurple124 wrote:Well, I did what I explained above, and sure enough, the turn signals work!! There was no problem with the flasher, it was the emergency flasher switch that was doing it.

Now, however, my right turn signals are not working! Left is fine, but when I turn on the right, the relay clicks once, then not at all. I might have to enter into NASCAR if all I can do is turn left... :roll:
VERY likely this is either burned out or wrong light bulbs, wiring, or a rear circuit board problem. If you have the wrong bulbs, they could even light for other functions, but not be the correct resistance for the signal flasher. First, make sure the bulbs on the side NOT working are the same exact spec as on the ones on the good side, then go from there.

Good luck - given the HP of Fiats. NASCAR is NOT a good option!