location of backup light delay

Gotta love that wiring . . .
SouthwestSpider

location of backup light delay

Post by SouthwestSpider »

I need to connect one wire from my back-up switch to the delay (according to the wiring diagrams) and the other to the rear connector. Can anyone give me the exact location of that delay switch. Is in the engine compartment? Or under the dash? Or in a magical place known only to Italian mechanics?
I've found the connector in the trunk for the other wire - I think.
supplyguy

Re: location of backup light delay

Post by supplyguy »

I believe it is under the car on the right side of the transmission, if we are talking about the same connector?
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

Are you sure?
The delay relay is usually by the relays under the glovebox - depending on year.
It lights up the SEATBELT light for 5 seconds or so. So I am surprised it would be connected to the reverse light switch.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
SouthwestSpider

I was going by the wiring diagram for the 1980 spiders and the ltblue/white wire went from the backupswitch (on rear of transmission - pass side of the donut) up to a delay. Perhaps it's just a power source and connects to the lead before it goes into the delay.
SouthwestSpider

supplyguy wrote:I believe it is under the car on the right side of the transmission, if we are talking about the same connector?
Thanks. I'm actually trying to locate the whereabouts of the delay that the backup light switch connects to - according to the 1980 Spider wiring diagrams (kudos to Bradley Artigue). There are two wires that leave the switch - one goes to the back up light connector at the rear of the car and the other goes to a delay (light blue/white wire).
SouthwestSpider

still no success in getting the backup lights working. Tried a constant supply to the lights and then put it in reverse (manual transmission). No light. So I may not have the wire connected to the right wire in the rear connector. Any ideas?
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

You do realize that the switched circuit supplies +12V to the light (not ground), right?
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
SouthwestSpider

Not really. I'm not very conversant with auto electrical. I'm not too proud to take advice, guidance or suggestions. Vandor do you have any ideas?
SouthwestSpider

Maybe I'm not asking the right question. Where do the wires that come from the backup switch (located on the rear of the transmission) connect to? I'm not comfortable with locating connectors using the wiring diagrams - so it would be tremendously helpful if someone who has expertise or has fixed/connected their backup switch can suggest to which wire they connected this switch, and where they found the wires/connectors to which they connected the backup switch. Thank you very very much for taking the time to provide this information.