Radio Help

Gotta love that wiring . . .
jimmycakes401

Radio Help

Post by jimmycakes401 »

Need to install my radio. Not really sure what these wires are. I have front and back speaker + and - labeled on here, but that's it. Anyone know what they all are? Or have a diagram? I also have a diagram for the radio I'm putting in. Any help would be great. This is one of the last things I need to do before I can put my console back together.

rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Re: Radio Help

Post by rlux4 »

Kind of hard to make out the colors on your pigtail, but here's the colors and connections for the 80-82s; Violet w/white- left speaker; violet- right speaker; grey w/black- left speaker ground, grey- right speaker ground; brown- keyed power; black- ground. You have more wires than are shown in Brad Artigue's wiring diagram, I don't know what they may be. Modern radios need a non-keyed, fused constant power supply for memory and the clock, so if you're lucky one of those will have it, if not you'll have to run a wire from a constant power source. I wouldn't recomend the cigarette lighter. When I used that source it blew fuses pretty regularly. Not sure why.
Hope this helps.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

I have a 1981. This should be useful info!!
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

I need to tap into "car light control switch" for the illumination wire. Would that be the same as the keyed power? Or do they mean headlights? So that when you throw on your headlights it illuminates? I think I can figure out the rest. I can find a hot lead.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

I don't know what a car light control switch is. Sounds like headlilghts, but they're not the only car lights. I'd just use a test light and see which wire is energized when the key is on.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

Brown. Sounds good
Fiat88

Post by Fiat88 »

I would use some proper automotive electrical connectors when connecting everything and chuck those house ones. Solder and heatshrink even better! :D
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

My 81 had a few unused pre wired connectors located in the area the radio mounts. Using the wire diagram I found the pre-wired factory radio connector. It is C36 an 8 pin connector located close to the heater box. Wire colors in that connector are

Brown power in "start & run"
gray/black left speaker
violet/black left speaker

gray right speaker
violet right speaker

White/black ground

In the same area is the original connector for the factory power antenna switch. If I remember correctly it is a 6 cavity connector with these wire color/functions

Red/black in 2 positions of the connector (jumped) is power "hot all the time" most radios today need that a hot all the time connection for the memory.
blue/red and blue/white both of these go to the trunk area for the power antenna

your panel light dimmer control is just above the radio mount position. The white/red wire on the control is wire for the dash lights.

Hope this helps
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

I saw that red wire with the black stripe and wondered about it. Is that what you're speaking of?
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

Here's blue/red (not connected)

Here's red/black (I will test for current) Looks like someone tapped this already with a built in fuse. The fuse is gone.
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

All wired and it works! I ignored the illumination wire for now... LOL!!
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

Well. The illumination wire is for night driving. I won't be doing a lot of that.
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/foru ... -wire.html
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Great work