Steering wheel horn slip ring noise...

Gotta love that wiring . . .
JerryH
Your car is a: 1976 124

Steering wheel horn slip ring noise...

Post by JerryH »

When I turn the steering wheel on my '76 the electrical slip ring contact makes an awful scraping noise. I tried using some steel wool on the ring, but that didn't help. Does anyone else suffer from this? Anyone got a solution?

Thanks,

-J
1976 Fiat 124
1972 Fiat 124
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: Steering wheel horn slip ring noise...

Post by baltobernie »

Your noise may be caused by the turn signals, not the horn.

Ensure that the contact points of the turn signals aren't worn away. They should look like the brass nibs in the base of a light socket. Both the horn ring and turn signal assembly should be clean and lubricated with dielectric grease.
psg

Post by psg »

I have a similar problem and have fairly severe wear. I have not found replacement parts. Do they exist? psg
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

I had the same thing along with an intermittant beep when turning the wheel. I did two things that helped. One, I took the wheel off the hub and rotated the hub 180 degress and then re-attached the steering wheel. This created a somewhat fresh surface for the contact points after 30+ years of wear. Two, I spent some time with the two prongs that make contact with the hub bending them slightly to ensure they were in the right track or contact point between the two underside rings and then tightened the main 22 or 23 mm bolt back to very tight and bakced off a 1/4 turn. No turning noice from the contact point and no intermittant beep.

normal cleaning and dialectric grease.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban