Common starter solenoid wire failures

Gotta love that wiring . . .
thefeline

Common starter solenoid wire failures

Post by thefeline »

OK so I checked out the fiat today and I found out that the solenoid does not get voltage when I turn the key to crank. I also checked out my wiring diagram (the blood luckily wasn’t on the part I needed) and it shows a red wire that runs from the starter solenoid to the ignition switch is there a common break that I could just re-solder, or how hard is it to run a new wire?

I did not see if voltage is coming out of the switch I would like to make sure it IS the red wire before I dig for it. It just looks like an unfun task so I postpone it for now.

I assume since the car works when I push start it that voltage is getting to the switch

Then there’s plan B where I just make my own starting circuit.

Ideas?

Thanks!
So Cal Mark

Re: Common starter solenoid wire failures

Post by So Cal Mark »

there is a connector near the left upper shock mount for the solenoid. It's a common spot for voltage drops, but not normally causing zero volts to the solenoid. That sounds more like a bad ign switch
thefeline

Post by thefeline »

I will have to check the switch than thank you.

It is the red wire of it, that is what my diagram says but I don't know if its 100% right for my car, Its a 80.
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

the red wire from the switch connect to a terminal on the side or end of the solenoid, not one of the 2 big lugs. this connection can get loose and dirty. if you checked that wire at the solenoid and you have no volts, check the output at the key. may have a bad ignition switch. also check the plug at the ignition switch as well.
thefeline

Post by thefeline »

All right more questions.

I have voltage coming out of the plug from the ignition switch, but still none at the starter. Also I checked the spade terminal on the starter with no wire on it and it was connected to ground with about 30ohms is that right for the solenoid?

because it looks like the red wire is just broken some where can I just run a new wire from where I have 12V on the red wire inside the car to the starter and cut out the old one or is that a bad idea?

Update

I think the starter is just dead I put 12v to the spade terminal and nothing happened.