Ignition Coil Question

Gotta love that wiring . . .
So Cal Mark

Re: Ignition Coil Question

Post by So Cal Mark »

you might have the wrong cap. There are two caps that look similar but are different heights. If you have the wrong cap, the distance from the rotor to the coil terminal is too great for consistent spark
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

That would be wonderful, but methinks OP said this started without cause. Hmm. Time will tell.
Keith
parsok

Post by parsok »

IT'S ALIVE :D :!:

But what the heck?? I put it back together and still no spark. On a lark I tested an old plug and I got a good solid spark :?: :?:
I ptoceeded to test every plug and NONE of them worked. I replaced them with the old plugs and EVERY one of the old plugs worked. Car started right up. I set the timing and reset the carb and it purrs so nicely. I don't hear the ticking that I did before I adjusted the badly misaligned cam pulleys.

Soooo, my question is how can it be that all 4 plugs simultaneously stopped working? I worried that I could be stranded at one of the many fine Niagara wineries that we envisioned using this beautiful car. Do I need to carry a new set of plugs with me wherever I go?

I'd like to thank everyone who chipped in on this head scrather, especially Majicwrench - thanks Keith!!!

Dave
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

what spark plugs did you have and what was the gap?
parsok

Post by parsok »

champion RN9YC

I'm not a big believer in coincidences. Something must have happened to spike the plugs. Just need to figure out what.

Could overheating be a cause? I'm having to address that issue as the engines gets in to the red zone before the fan comes on.
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Send me a plug.
Keith Meyers
PO Box 1625
Libby MT 59923
KidDingo
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000 FI 5-spd

Post by KidDingo »

parsok wrote:champion RN9YC

I'm not a big believer in coincidences. Something must have happened to spike the plugs. Just need to figure out what.

Could overheating be a cause? I'm having to address that issue as the engines gets in to the red zone before the fan comes on.
Hi Parsok,

You might need a new thermoswitch that connects the bottom of your radiator. Auto Ricambi has some that kick in a bit sooner than the OEM ones. They're pretty inexpensive and easy to install.

M.

Post by parsok »

Thanks, tha was what i was thinking. However, I tries burping the rad for like the umpteenth time this weekend and I think that was the problem. It ran around 195 all the time. However, to be on the safe side I installed a fan override switch.

D