Horn malfuntion more details needed to solve.

Gotta love that wiring . . .
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Horn malfuntion more details needed to solve.

Post by TX82FIAT »

folks, I've read a few of the threads on the horn malfunction and constant beep when it grounds out. I've played with the prongs under the steering wheel hub and have it so it only occassionally beeps when I turn. the beeping is absolutley related to the amount of pressure the driver exerts on the steering wheel during driving. For example, more likely to beep at low speed or when parking then when moving. Is there a spacing washer someplace?

I guess what i'm looking for is more insight into exactly what is taking place that I can't see after i put the steering wheel back on. Further, what solutions have people used. can the inside of the hub get worn and therefore creates a conductace point. Is there another part of the copper ring that contacts something on the underside? I have seen some folks cut the lower prong to solve the issue. I'd hate to cut the lower prong and no longer have a working horn.

Thoughts
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Re: Horn malfuntion more details needed to solve.

Post by maytag »

I have not experienced this issue on a Fiat. BUT, I would have to guess that if it is absolutely correlated to how much effort you're exerting to the wheel, I'd be looking for a pinched wire in the column.
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
TX82FIAT

Post by TX82FIAT »

Maytag, I'll take the column apart when i get home and take a better look at the wiring. I re-did all these wires about a year ago. I'm pretty certain the problem has to do with conductance taking place on or around the ring and those two little prongs. when I turn the wheel I suspect something is pushing one of the copper prongs to make contact with the center post completing the circuit and it returns to normal position when the wheel is turned back. However.... I just can't see how it is happening! maybe I'll start isolating parts that should not have conductance in that area with some liguid electrical tape. if it stops then i know the contact point and can work backwards to eliminarte the contact.

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
TX82FIAT

Post by TX82FIAT »

Problem fixed, Used liquid electrical tape to isolate the positive and negative rings on the back side of the wheel hub. Re-bent the proings that make contact with the rings. Bent the positive out towards the outer edge of the brass ring and bent the negative post in towards the center post. Rotated the ring position as it relates to the steering wheel itself so a slight grove in the ring is not in a position to move the prongs when the wheel turns. So far so good. no unwanted beeping when turning the wheel.

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban