Haunted starter

Gotta love that wiring . . .
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Haunted starter

Post by ga.spyder »

Yes, the spirit of Aurelio Lampredi has found a home in my starter.Today(after about a week of inactivity),I put my recently purchased AFM on the car .I went out start the car,it engaged, then kicked out and the starter motor began whining..loudly.I went to the trunk and unscrewed my ground quick connect.Screwed it back down...still whining.Repeated the process a couple more times and the starter motor was silent.Got in and hit the key and it fired over just like it always has. :? Took it for a ride and let it cool and it has refired every time.WTF?? Any ideas what caused this,and is it a symptom of something more sinister?
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
Zulu

Re: Haunted starter

Post by Zulu »

Depending on the year, there might be a starter solenoid that is acting up. This happened on my '75 and I experienced very similar symptoms. Instead of replacing the relay, I rewired it like later cars without the relay. To do this, simply run the red wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid, bypassing the relay.

Zulu
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

First things first; how did it run with the new AFM on her?
Whining sounds like the bendix is spinning before it engages the flywheel. Could be gunked up in the starter head, which would account for it not retacting when you turned off the key.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Thanks guys...I suspect the solenoid but I will clean up all the connections.I have a starter that came off kmac's 74(mines a 82) when he went to a gear reduction type.Will it work on the 82?It is brand new
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !