Tach Red Light and Starting

Gotta love that wiring . . .
noKYspider

Tach Red Light and Starting

Post by noKYspider »

I've been having trouble starting my car and think I have found something that might point me in the right direction with some guidance from the experts. Somehow tonight I noticed that when the red light in the tachometer is on the car starts right up (within 2 or 3 cranks). I was messing around with a different issue and got back into try to start up the car and I saw the light on the tach was off while the car was cranking and cranking and cranking (it would crank until the battery died without starting if I let it). I reached down, jiggled the wires at the back of the ignition while the ignition was in the run position, the light came on, and the car started right up. So, something down there isn't making good contact and I need to fix it. I'll probably take the approach of removing each one individually and cleaning/tightening the wires but I wanted to see if anyone else has ever had this problem. If so, do you know a specific wire that is the culprit. Thanks for whatever info you might have.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Tach Red Light and Starting

Post by spider2081 »

Not sure what year your car is. On my 81 The connector behind the ignition switch gave me similar problems. The sockets loose their tension after time and they become intermittent. Unplug the switch harness and look for discoloration in the connector. That is the pin that is heating up. Clean it and try again. Also a similar situation exists at the fuse panel. One of the wires on the alternator output feeds the hot all the time fuses. That wire and the wire that goes to the ignition switch from the panel become intermittent also

Hope this helps
noKYspider

Re: Tach Red Light and Starting

Post by noKYspider »

My car is a 1975. I figure it's something loose behind the ignition switch since it reconnected when I moved the wires around. Just another project to add to the list for the project car!