Tach and temp gauges stopped working

Gotta love that wiring . . .
garhett

Tach and temp gauges stopped working

Post by garhett »

Went out to start her yesterday morning. Tach worked fine as usual, but after a few minutes just stop working. Temp gauge and parking brake light also mysteriously stopped working.

Guessing it's a ground, where's a good place to start looking?

Thanks!
blurple124
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Tach and temp gauges stopped working

Post by blurple124 »

Does your fuel gauge work? If not, then it could be an issue with power from Fuse 1 (A) to the instrument panel. It still could be, but if the fuel gauge works then it could only be caused by a fault in the wiring between the fuel gauge and Tach (as far as I know).

It is possible that the parking light issue is separate, but there is the chance that a ground is shared somehow; someone else who is more knowledgeable will have to answer that question for you.
Charlie
1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800 - Antonia
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
velozi

Post by velozi »

Check behind your instrument panel. Those two components meet at C25 connector. They also share a wire that jumps to both the tach and gauge.
garhett

Post by garhett »

blurple124 wrote:Does your fuel gauge work? If not, then it could be an issue with power from Fuse 1 (A) to the instrument panel.
Just noticed today that the fuel gauge stopped working too! Ha, if it's a fuse I'm gonna be pretty embarresed :oops:
velozi wrote:Check behind your instrument panel. Those two components meet at C25 connector
Thanks for the tip! if it's not the fuse I'll probably look there next
spidernut
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider Automatic

Post by spidernut »

I think this problem was caused by Venus passing between the Earth and the Sun because my Spider blew the same fuse on the way home at about 5:15 p.m. Pacific Time. :shock:
John G.
1979 Spider (Owned since 2000)
1971 124 Sport Spider (Owned since 2017)
1977 Spider (Sold 2017)
1979 Spider (Disposed of in 2017)
1979 Spider (Sold 2015)
1980 Spider (Sold in 2013)
1981 Spider (Sold in 1985)
2017 Spider (Owned since 2019)
garhett

Post by garhett »

spidernut wrote:I think this problem was caused by Venus passing between the Earth and the Sun because my Spider blew the same fuse on the way home at about 5:15 p.m. Pacific Time. :shock:
Hahaha, never checked back (was just fuse), but that joke does deserve a few laughs :lol:
JTBernhardt
Your car is a: 1971 124 Sport Spider

Post by JTBernhardt »

I had this problem a few months ago. I tried simply replacing the fuse, and it just continues to blow. I spent a day taking the dash apart to find that a wire was shorting out on the radio.

I started by un-plugging all the instruments, and various other things on the same circuit to determine where the short was.

Good luck!
JT Bernhardt

'71 124 Spider X2
'86 Bertone X1/9
'84 and '85 Maserati Biturbo's