Car Starts when cold but dead if I turn it off hot

Gotta love that wiring . . .
cincifiat
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider Automatic

Car Starts when cold but dead if I turn it off hot

Post by cincifiat »

I have a 1980 automatic.

I just recently started having an issue that when I start the car cold (overnight) it starts fine. After it has been running for a while (like up to get gas for a long drive) the car won't start. It is completely dead no clicking sound no nothing. Checked all my connections and they are all good. Someting must be getting hot and then not working when it is hot.

Not sure where to start...

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Ray
dantye
Your car is a: all gone

Re: Car Starts when cold but dead if I turn it off hot

Post by dantye »

cincifiat wrote:I have a 1980 automatic.

I just recently started having an issue that when I start the car cold (overnight) it starts fine. After it has been running for a while (like up to get gas for a long drive) the car won't start. It is completely dead no clicking sound no nothing. Checked all my connections and they are all good. Someting must be getting hot and then not working when it is hot.

Not sure where to start...

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Ray
Just TOL, but: The "no click" means no starter juice, but you don't mention having to re-charge the battery. The cause might be something other than heat. Some sort of thermal protector interlock between the auto trans. and the starter circuit? Possibly an intermittent AFM or ECU problem?

I realize it's a pain to reproduce such a symptom, but how many times has the same thing happened?
I hope someone comes along who has solved the same problem.
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

Start with this guide:

http://www.mirafiori.com/faq/content/st ... click.html

Report back with your results. Hope that helps.

Karl
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
cincifiat

Post by cincifiat »

Dantye;

Just for example. I just came in from the garage. Got in the car and started it after it has sat for about two weeks and it started right up. So I turn it off and tried to restart cold. No problem started right up. Did this a few times and started right up. Battery is new and charged. So I drove it around the neighborhood until the temp gauge showed it was heating up. Drove it back into the garage and turned the car off. Tried to restart it and nothing. All lights and ringer sounds but starter will not make a sound.

Hope this helps. I bought a used started but before I change it out I wanted to see if that would be a waste of time. Seams that the starter, based on what I've done, is OK.

Ray
dantye
Your car is a: all gone

Post by dantye »

cincifiat wrote:Dantye;

Just for example. I just came in from the garage. Got in the car and started it after it has sat for about two weeks and it started right up. So I turn it off and tried to restart cold. No problem started right up. Did this a few times and started right up. Battery is new and charged. So I drove it around the neighborhood until the temp gauge showed it was heating up. Drove it back into the garage and turned the car off. Tried to restart it and nothing. All lights and ringer sounds but starter will not make a sound.

Hope this helps. I bought a used started but before I change it out I wanted to see if that would be a waste of time. Seams that the starter, based on what I've done, is OK.

Ray
Since this in a 1980, need to ask is it a Carb. or Fuel Injection model?
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

I think you need to verify the starter connections, particularly the one to the solenoid.

As you have an automatic there is an additional wrinkle to be resolved which is the neutral safety switch circuits that locks out the starter. You should make sure this is working properly, perhaps the heat is causing it to have a fault. The next time you can make the system "fail" reliably, trace from the ignition switch to verify it is outputting power in the start position, if it is now trace to the neutral safety switch, relay and so on. Verify the power is getting there and then verify that power is leaving the switch to get to the starter. It is a bit complex but it should be resolvable.

As there are a variety of failure points at the switches and each of the wires or the wire connectors, working methodically through them is going to be key to solving your problem.

To assist in getting through this, go to Brad Artique's site and download the requisite files:
http://www.artigue.com/fiat/wiring-diagrams

http://www.artigue.com/fiatcontent/wiri ... 9_1980.pdf
http://www.artigue.com/fiatcontent/wiri ... 0_1982.pdf
http://www.artigue.com/fiatcontent/spid ... 00elec.pdf
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
cincifiat

Post by cincifiat »

dantye wrote:
cincifiat wrote:Dantye;

Ray
Since this in a 1980, need to ask is it a Carb. or Fuel Injection model?
It's FI, Sorry forgot to mention that. Thanks for the help.

Ray
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

you need to verify power to the starter solenoid from the ignition switch. Your car has a connector in the solenoid wiring harness that is a common problem. It's located on the left inner fenderwell near the upper shock mount. That connector can get loose, corroded or burnt and create a voltage drop so that there is insufficient voltage to the solenoid
CajunMike
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Post by CajunMike »

I know by experience that a failing magnetic pickup will act this way.
cincifiat

Post by cincifiat »

So Cal Mark wrote:you need to verify power to the starter solenoid from the ignition switch. Your car has a connector in the solenoid wiring harness that is a common problem. It's located on the left inner fenderwell near the upper shock mount. That connector can get loose, corroded or burnt and create a voltage drop so that there is insufficient voltage to the solenoid

Hey Mark,

I'll check that.. thanks

Why is it only happening when it is hot? As soon as I leave it sit for a day it will start no problem.

Ray
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

resistance increases with heat
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

brown wire fix and ignition switch clean out or replacment.....fixed my hot start problem
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<