Weird Igntion Swich Wiring on my '74

Gotta love that wiring . . .
AFSpider91

Weird Igntion Swich Wiring on my '74

Post by AFSpider91 »

I'm trying to figure out my ignition switch wiring and can't seem to find any info about the 1974's. The car didn't have the ignition switch installed when I bought it. I have the one it came with and a replacement.

Here are the color choices under the dash:
Red
Black
Green/Black
Pink & Blue/Black (going to the same butt connector)
Blue & Blue/Red (going to the same butt connector)
Brown & Blue/Yellow (going to the same butt connector)

Color choices on my switch(es):
15 -Pink
30 -Brown
30/1 -Black
50 -Red
INT -Blue/Black

Any help is greatly appreciated!
giuliot60
Your car is a: 81 Fiat Turbo removed Spider

Re: Weird Igntion Swich Wiring on my '74

Post by giuliot60 »

Hi.

I had a 74 and also have a 2002 Passat GLX wagon as my daily driver. Just changed the timing belt at 105K.

Anyway, I have an ignition issue on my 81 that I won't get into here, and I am not a Spider expert by any means (at least not yet). I just wanted to make sure you knew about artique's wiring diagrams. You can do a search for it. He (and others) have attached the link in several conversations.

If you can't find it let me know and I can send the link or file.

Is your replacement an aftermarket or a used Fiat part? I've read about aftermarkets not being very good.

Good luck! And keep us posted
Giulio/Charlotte
1st car '75 pistachio 128 sedan
Owned a '74 Spider, '68 Firebird, a '65 GTO convertible, and a customized '74 650 Yamaha
Currently own an '81 Turbo (removed) Spider
AFSpider91

Post by AFSpider91 »

I've seen Artigue's diagrams before. I just can't seem to find anything with this particular configuration. I do have a Fiat-published wiring diagram for the '74. It looks like most of the wiring is where is should be. The only thing that doesn't add up is the green/black for the fuel pump. I have no idea where to plug it into the ignition switch...

I have 2 ignition switches. Both are the original "Sipea"(?) brand.
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

Try looking at this link. Csaba (Auto Ricambi) just told me about it, and I may actually attempt it. All the ignition wiring info is there and seems pretty clear and simple.

http://www.mirafiori.com/faq/content/switch/index.html

Let us know what you decide to do.

Good luck!
Giulio/Charlotte
Owned a '74 Spider, '68 Firebird, a '65 GTO convertible, and a customized '74 650 Yamaha
AFSpider91

Post by AFSpider91 »

Giulio,

All the diagrams I can find only show the 5 wires out of the ignition switch but my car has 6 out... Green/Black being the only one I can't find info on. My wiring diagram for the '74 shows it being for the fuel pump but I can't figure out which number it plugs into on the back of the switch...

As for the switch rebuild, I'm not to sure if my switch is bad yet. I have one newer one that I just had a key made for and it seems to in good shape (lights come on when I switch it to ACC). My older one definately has problems.
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

I don't know Ben. I would contact Artigue and/or take a look at his site: http://www.artigue.com/fiat/wiring-diagrams. I found a diagram for a 124 station wagon that you may want to look at. It looks like the ignition has 6 out, and shows the green/black (VN) wire connecting to an "ignition mode selection relay" (10/1) and to #9 but they don't tell what 9 is.

Is the 6 wire out ignition a factory ignition?

I'm sure we're going to get better at knowing what's what after a while. No pain no gain, I guess.

Let me know.
Giulio/Charlotte
AFSpider91

Post by AFSpider91 »

I'll take a better look when I get off work. From what I can tell, it looks like all the wiring is factory but since the PO took the original switch out there's no way of knowing what went where without referencing a detailed wiring diagram for the '74 specifically.

Do any of your cars have a fuel pump wire running into the ignition switch?
AFSpider91

Post by AFSpider91 »

This might be my problem:

http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12560

I'll check it out tonight...
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

I don't think mine does, but I'll have to check. I know my fuel pump runs (or ran) without the engine running, so I think I may have a similar issue. So I'm going to have to add that to my check list.
Giulio/Charlotte
AFSpider91

Post by AFSpider91 »

Good News: New ignition switch works great!
Bad News: Still do t know about that fuel pump wire. The gas tank and pump are out of the car right now. I guess I'll have to do some plug and play when I get everything put back in.
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

Great. Let us know how it goes.
Giulio/Charlotte
AFSpider91

Post by AFSpider91 »

Correction: Green/Black goes to fuel pump relay. So I guess my question is, where does this wire plug into the igntion switch?
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

Hi Ben.

I just found this conversation regarding the fuel pump of an 81, but you may get something out of it.

http://forum.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtop ... &sk=t&sd=a
Giulio/Charlotte
sixcharlie

Post by sixcharlie »

The green/black wire for the fuel pump should come from the ignition relay and through a connector to the fuel pump. It shouldn't go to the ignition switch. When the key is tuned power will go to the ignition relay and thus power up the pump.

Most guys who have an extra wire going to their switch have two brown wires and at some point, the "brown wire fix" has been done on their car.
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

You've got to tell me more about the "Brown wire fix" 6C. That may be my next move. That and I'm thinking my fuel pump was messed with too.

So, I just got through rebuilding my ignition. Not too bad. I had a scary moment when drilling the holes larger, but it didn't effect the integrity of the switch. Total labor time (just rebuilding the switch) about 3-3.5 hours and I really took my time.

The true test will be after I install it :)
Giulio/Charlotte