68 side lights? (I need pics/parts help)

Gotta love that wiring . . .
baylor

68 side lights? (I need pics/parts help)

Post by baylor »

I'm restoring my 68
It's been in the family since dad bought it new, and it's almost all original. Unfortunately, pops didn't like the round side lights so he cut in some rectangular ones... :(

But I'm trying to get back to original.

So does anyone have pictures/part numbers/suppliers (aftermarket is ok too, but would like to know what they looked like originally) they would be willing to share?

early 69 would be fine too I think, I just can't find a good source for what the lights are supposed to look like for this early north american model.

any any all help appreciated.
thanks!!
twincam69
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider and 1971 124 Coupe

Re: 68 side lights? (I need pics/parts help)

Post by twincam69 »

Autoricambi has these...

http://www.autoricambi.us/cgi/commerce. ... ey=EL6-067

If you need some pictures of the side markers installed I can take some of my '69 this weekend both inside and out.
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

Those are not the US market originals, they US market ones were a conical dome.
Midwest has this used one shown. The rears were red and the fronts are amber

Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
baylor

Post by baylor »

Thanks guys!
If you don't mind twincam69, I'd love to see a side shot of the rear quarter for location/placement purposes.
Thanks!
twincam69

Post by twincam69 »

I won't be back to my warehouse until Saturday. I'll get you a couple of pictures both inside and outside the rear quarter and post this weekend.
twincam69

Post by twincam69 »

baylor

Post by baylor »

twincam69 wrote:sorry for the delay...
No worries at all! Thanks very much for taking the time to get them for me, very helpful!
And BTW, your car looks great (from what i can see:))

Is that colour Racing Red 120, or Bright Orange 161, (or something else)?

Thanks!
twincam69

Post by twincam69 »

That's Rosso Corsa code 120. The car had one repaint in 1978 and it has faded a bit to more of an orange compared to the inside of the trunk and door jambs.
baylor

Post by baylor »

Interesting...
Mine is 120 as well... It too had a 'recent' repaint, but it's still a close match to the interior parts (trunk/door jams/etc) as it was parked/covered for the last 12 years, but mine appears much less orange than yours.

(Again, ignore the ugly side marker lights... I'm working on that :) )

Check out the placement of the rear lights... my pop swears he just 'made the hole bigger', when he installed them, and he also swears there was never any work done to the rear end... but the lights are not even close to where yours are.... Considering pops is in his 70's I think his memory is fading a bit, and there were no rear side lights at all. I can't see any repair work (hole patches) on the inside of the rear fender, and there is no evidence that the rear quarters were replaced.

This car has a number of oddities (like the electromagnetic clutch fan, torque tube, no hazards (and no trace of wiring for it either)... makes life interesting :)
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Post by fiat218 »

baylor wrote:Interesting...
Mine is 120 as well... It too had a 'recent' repaint, but it's still a close match to the interior parts (trunk/door jams/etc) as it was parked/covered for the last 12 years, but mine appears much less orange than yours.

(Again, ignore the ugly side marker lights... I'm working on that :) )

Check out the placement of the rear lights... my pop swears he just 'made the hole bigger', when he installed them, and he also swears there was never any work done to the rear end... but the lights are not even close to where yours are.... Considering pops is in his 70's I think his memory is fading a bit, and there were no rear side lights at all. I can't see any repair work (hole patches) on the inside of the rear fender, and there is no evidence that the rear quarters were replaced.

This car has a number of oddities (like the electromagnetic clutch fan, torque tube, no hazards (and no trace of wiring for it either)... makes life interesting :)
mine has the electro too, i don't know if there a hazards ,but i don't know if this is
origanal or not but it has a shut off switch in the passanger side map pocket, has any one heard of that or maybe some one did this
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider
fiat218
Your car is a: 1969 124 AS spider

Post by fiat218 »

here is my 69 baylor
Jim
East Grand Forks MN
1970 Fiat Spider BS1 ( FOR SALE
1969 124 AS Spider
2017 Abrath
2018 Alfa Romeo 4c Spider
baylor

Post by baylor »

fiat218 wrote:but i don't know if this is origanal or not but it has a shut off switch in the passanger side map pocket, has any one heard of that or maybe some one did this
Mine doesn't have any switches in the map pockets. Is it a battery disconnect switch for the whole car? If so, I would say someone added it in, as there's no master shut-off in the schematics
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

I frenched the rear markers, but the round vintage fronts are centered 9- 3/4" rearward from the beginning of the fender and 1-5/8" below the crease.

You can use the front markers as originally intended, or as repeaters of the turn signals. I personally feel that Spiders need all the visibility they can get, so I'm using a 10-watt halogen bulb in the housing, Wagner p/n 17833, and wired it to the turn signal. Don't bother with this mod without using brighter bulbs, as the 3W incandescent bulbs are invisible in the daytime.