Help a moron (Alternator / Starter wiring)

Gotta love that wiring . . .
sixcharlie

Help a moron (Alternator / Starter wiring)

Post by sixcharlie »

The back story: I found a cheap, rusty '81 Spider 2000 FI and with much emotion fulfilled a childhood dream and snatched her up. She turned out to be very, very rusty as I can attest when after about 200 miles I went to sit in the driver's seat and fell through the car. Serendipity shined her lovely head and less than a mile away from my house, was advertised a '77 124 Spider that had a great body and a blown motor (number 3 let go and punched through the block) for really, really cheap.

I'm now in the final stages of fitting the entire drive line from the 2L FI into the '77 Body. I even mostly know where the wiring overlaps for the FI system.

So, now I'm trying to terminate all the electrical in the engine bay while referencing two separate wiring diagrams and I keep second guessing myself and talking myself into corners.

I would much appreciate if some kind folks could carefully walk me through what, exactly, goes where on the starter, starter solenoid and alternator.

Remember: Wiring is for a '77 and I believe those didn't have internal voltage regulators in the Alternators. Engine, alt, starter is all '81 FI.
4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Re: Help a moron (Alternator / Starter wiring)

Post by 4uall »

Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
sixcharlie

Post by sixcharlie »

I have those. :-(
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

So your '77 had the alternator on the passenger side and an external voltage regulator on the left inner fender, but you are using the driver's side mounted, internally regulated alternator from the '81?
Please confirm.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
sixcharlie

Post by sixcharlie »

Yes, except the '77 also had driver's side alternator mounted.
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

sixcharlie wrote:Yes, except the '77 also had driver's side alternator mounted.
If the '77 originally had the driver's side mounted alternator that means that it had an internally regulated alternator (no external 2-wire regulator on the driver's side inner fender), and then the alternator/starter wiring should be pretty much the same as a '81. I'd just look at the '77-78 wiring diagram (early '77 had the external regulator, so there might be some confusion there) and wire it like that.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
giuliot60
Your car is a: 81 Fiat Turbo removed Spider

Post by giuliot60 »

Glad we connected sixcharlie. Since we have the same engine and drivetrain we could certainly help each other out. I just sent you photos of my car.

GT.
Giulio/Charlotte
1st car '75 pistachio 128 sedan
Owned a '74 Spider, '68 Firebird, a '65 GTO convertible, and a customized '74 650 Yamaha
Currently own an '81 Turbo (removed) Spider