No start one out of 10 times

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Tango

No start one out of 10 times

Post by Tango »

Normally my 81 (FI) Spider will start find, crank for maybe 1-2 seconds and it is running. But maybe 1 out of 8 or 10, the starter just clicks or groans. the battery has been checked and pronounced healthy, my electronic charger will charge it without faulting, and the alternator is charging it at just over 14V. New ground cable and the terminals are freshly, shiney clean.

Typical today; started for work, a trip for an errand and return, then parked at work. In the afternoon it wouldn turn over. I have taken to carrying a backup deep cycle battery in the trunk, and boosted with that it starts immediately. Then drove 5 minutes and parked at a store (thinking I'd have to boost it again). Nope, 5 minutes later it started instantly, drove maybe 10 minutes and parked. Again, started instantly.

how can it need a boost one minute, then after a short drive be just fine again? it couldnt get a significant charge that quickly, and restart twice more in half an hour.

Is the battery marginally sized maybe? It has 570 CC amps, something like 700 CA according to the label. It is "small" compared to the battery compartment, maybe 1.5 to 2 inches narrower than the room provided for OEM equipment. Dont know if size matters here. Thoughts? Oh, and it can sit for a week and start right up so the battery isnt draining.
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: No start one out of 10 times

Post by azruss »

you have 2 potential problem childs. the first is the key. may have a dirty starter contact that isnt giving the starter solenoid enough kick. The other is the starter solenoid itself. old solenoids can develop junk on the contact plate. it can also have wear in the bendix slider path that makes it hang up before it pushes the contact plate hard enough for a good contact.
courtenay
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by courtenay »

There is one more potential problem - check out this thread:

http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic ... art#p76617
Bruce Shearer
'80 Spider Fi
'10 Volvo XC70
'06 GMC 1 Ton PU
'72 Spider a long, long time ago
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

1. Pull apart and clean ignition switch http://www.mirafiori.com/faq/content/switch/index.html
2. also do the brown wire fix http://www.mirafiori.com/faq/content/bwfix/bwfix.htm...it sorted mine out..

On the ignition fix, I used hobby fasteners to put the thing together
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
Tango

Post by Tango »

Well, i can try those bullet connectors pretty quick and see if that does the trick. The symptoms that people list there is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. A bad connection might explain why hooking up a second battery helps more so than with a mechanical problem.

Thanks, guys. I'll let you know.

I really appreciate the advice.

Tim
Tango

Post by Tango »

Well, since I started using the car on a much more frequent basis this problem has hugely diminished. Once over the past three months and that time I just switched off and back on and she started right up. Certainly the car likes being driven more often!

T