Battery light on dash will not go out

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Taz

Battery light on dash will not go out

Post by Taz »

This has happened once brfore. Shut off car, remove key and Battery light on dash stays lit. ??? Any answers as to what causes it . ? :?
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Battery light on dash will not go out

Post by TX82FIAT »

Did you check the voltage across the battery with the car running and car off. Low voltage situation will trigger light. As for the light it staying on when you turn car off... not sure, grounding?
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

Likely one of the diodes in the alternator has gone out. If it does not go away have the alternator checked by an alternator shop.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

What fixed it last time??
Taz

Post by Taz »

The last time it happened, I had the heater fan switch on low and it must put a drain on the battery and the light was warning me , turned off the switch, and light went off. This time I checked to be sure everything was off, it is, BUT light stays on. Doesn't seem to affect the starting of the car, starts right up. Everything seems to be working properly. Goes out when car starts. :?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the fan switch shouldn't be powered with the key off. Is the light on bright or dim? A faulty diode in the alternator could be the cause
Taz

Re: Battery light on dash Update !

Post by Taz »

Here's an update. I was checking the fuses and wires on the fuse panel and I found out that when I disconnected the heavy black wire from the fuse box, fuse " L " (horn & engine cooling fan ) the light on the dash went out :D . Now, does that mean that wire was grounding out somewhere ? can someone tell me where it goes.
GeorgeT
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by GeorgeT »

So Cal Mark wrote:the fan switch shouldn't be powered with the key off. Is the light on bright or dim? A faulty diode in the alternator could be the cause
On the '82 models, the fan will continue to run until the radiator cools down, so it is powered with the switch off.
grittracing

Post by grittracing »

cute a wire or pull the bulb :lol: