Which Alternator?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
deadmeat

Which Alternator?

Post by deadmeat »

Folks, I'm in a pickle and need to replace my internal Voltage regulator or my alternator today. I cannot find the Voltage Reg. locally, but I've found a place selling both a 55a no A/C and a 65a w/AC alternator for about $80. I'm inclined to grab the 65a model since I already have an aftermarket stereo installed, but am not sure of the difference between an alternator w/ac vs no ac. I think it is just an extra connection. Can I install the AC version on a car without ac and just leave the extra connection open?

thanks,
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Re: Which Alternator?

Post by maytag »

my bet would be that they "with AC" has a different belt configuration. and that's the difference. I don't know why you'd add an electrical connection to the alternator when you're adding AC. :?:
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Have you tried a local shop that specializes in alternator rebuilds ??? I had mine repaired by a local shop a few years ago and I believe he said the internal Voltage regulator was interchangeable with a GM part. Anyway it was a $65 repair and now has over 20,000 miles on it.
I don't think there is any physical difference between the 55A and 65A alternators for the Fiat Spider.

I thought the 65 amp alternator was used in all the cars after around 81.
Maybe someone knows for sure
wikkid

Post by wikkid »

There would be no difference in the A/C vs. non-A/C alt, except for an extra pulley to run the A/C compressor. So yes, you could use an "A/C" alternator on your car, and the A/C pulley would just not have a belt on it.
deadmeat

Post by deadmeat »

UPDATE: I ended up going with the stock 55amp No A/C model, since that was the only one in stock when I got to the import auto parts store. It works beautifully and even corrected my bouncy tachometer. Thanks for the help all.