Burned wires under the dash, now dead as a door nail...

Gotta love that wiring . . .
75alive

Burned wires under the dash, now dead as a door nail...

Post by 75alive »

what should i try next?

I've had my spider about a wk, its a `75, has been in the family and was semi-restored approx 15 yrs ago but has gone back into neglect.

Was driving home when a loud "pop" and white smoke from under the driver's dash (fuse area) and from the relays under the hood. LOTS of smoke! Toasted a pink wiring coming out of the 9/10 position on the fuse box and having a secondary fuse within it. I've replaced all the fuses and the section of burned wiring, but it is still dead. No click, no trying to turn over, nothing. I've also lost head lights, but tail lights, dash lights, clock, etc still work...

any suggestions?
majicwrench

Re: Burned wires under the dash, now dead as a door nail...

Post by majicwrench »

Easy answer. Ship it to The Magic Wrench @ 36304 Hwy 2 S in Libby MT. I'll fix it up just like the Fiat Gods had it originally. No extra relays ( sorry private joke)

In truth, what a horrible smell, and story that is. Get a test light and a good wiring diagram. Test power going into ign switch, and coming out. What shorted??
75alive

Post by 75alive »

I will test the ign switch tomorrow, I've gotten everything back but the starter and the drivers headlight. I think what happened is someone had a 16a fuse in an 8a socket, and BOOM, the rest is history...

Do I need to be concerned about the underhoodb relays?
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

What you need to be concerned about is what shorted. A 16amp fuse is probably not causing your problems, that is not enough amperage to smoke a wire.
75alive

Post by 75alive »

How do I determine what shorted? By the fuse, wire, by what's not working? Hopefully I will get to check the wiring to the ignition switch, starter/selonoid today...
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

You should be able to find the wire that was damaged the most. Because so many wires close to each other some others may show signs of heat, but one should be fried. The insulation will be completely burnt off and the wire will be almost or totally burned through. If it's in a bundle that's taped together it'll be harder to find until you take off the tape wrapping.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
75alive

Post by 75alive »

The pink wire coming from the "i" position was cooked but it only looked like a few inches under the dash. When I seperated it out, it liked OK after that. Looks like it goes to the fuel pump and ignition module relays as well as to the thermostat switch. Cab that whole section be toasted without being visibly damaged?
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Not toasted, no. The smoke and burning smell come from the wire sheathing, which is plastic and would show plainly if a short had caused excessive heat. The insulation goes a lot quicker than the wire inside of it, because it's not a conductor like the wire is.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
75alive

Post by 75alive »

So I've replaced all the fuses and the only section of wiring that is actually physically burnt. Did not get to check the ignition, starter, or relays today.
75alive

Post by 75alive »

OK, ohm tested the fuse box. Starter checked out, ignition switch send to be faulty as I an not getting any fuel pump tick or activity to the dash when I turn the key. Only thing is... How do I get the ignition switch out?!?!? Holy crap that thing is tough!
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

Here is a manual page regarding how to get the switch out. I haven't done it myself though.

'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

IS any pwer getting to ign switch?? Don't yank it just yet. An ohm meter is probably not the right tool for the job. A good ole fashioned test light properly used would do you wonders.
Keith
75alive

Post by 75alive »

I put a volt tester to the input side if the switch and it is hot. Nothing is getting hot past the switch. Thanks for the diagram, I messed with that thing for an hour today...
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

ive read on here you can rebuild the ING switch
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
rrrrob
Your car is a: 1975 124 Sport Spider

Post by rrrrob »

I don't know if this will help or is beyond what you need, but I found this a couple of weeks ago and when I read this post I thought it might help. If not maybe it will help someone else.

http://www.kendickson.com/car/switch/index.html
1975 124 Sport Spider<br/>
1979 MGB<br/>
1981 Mazda RX-7<br/>
2002 Chevy Blazer<br/>
2003 Mazda 6