Dash lights don't work...

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Fiat88

Dash lights don't work...

Post by Fiat88 »

When I bought the car, the dash lights worked but a few months ago I fixed all the PO wiring hacks. I remember removing a 16-14 gauge green wire looked non factory which the PO had connected to the back of the water temp gauge white wire/bulb which was just twisted together with a black/ yellow wire. Didn't realize until after a few months of not using the car that I shouldn't of messed with that wire.The wiring diagram is a little confusing as there are many similar wiring colors in the same circuit, black/yellow ones. What i have determined is that black/yellow wire which is actually two wires wich split off one terminal, only gets power when the headlight switch is on. So that is the power source, I just don't know where to connect it. Any ideas? If I just jumper that wire again to the back of the water temp gauge white wire/ bulb contact should it work?
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Dash lights don't work...

Post by spider2081 »

On my 1981 the yellow/black wire comes from fuse 8. It connects to the panel light dimmer control. The output of the dimmer control is a white/red wire that jumps to all the separate instrument connectors. The ground wire for all the panel lights is white/black.

Hope this is some help.
Fiat88

Re: Dash lights don't work...fixed

Post by Fiat88 »

Thanks for the advice. I got the dash lights to work again, I hooked it back up sort of the way the PO did it for now. :| I ran a new wire from the black/yellow wire and connected it to the bulb in the water temp gauge, then I tapped it into the original white wire going to the bulb. This sends the power to all the other gauges. One thing I did notice is that I think my wiper and panel lights rheostats are hooked up backwards.