Making the Grille Shiny

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
Wheel
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider

Re: Making the Grille Shiny

Post by Wheel »

Roy,
That really changes the look. It kinda reminded me of the early grille "georgeramos" put in his car. He posted photos under the topic "Francescos facelift" located in the "custom stuff" area.
I tried copying and pasting the link, but I can't get it to work. I used to be able to do this without any issues and I don't think I am doing anything different.......arghhh....... http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17051

Anyways, good creative thinking on your part, it looks great.
1982 Fiat Spider
RoyBatty
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider - 1971 124 Sport Coupe

Post by RoyBatty »

Thanks for the compliments all.
I liked it enough to spend 45 minutes earlier today to treat the lower grill in the same fashion.
Then I gave her a wash job and dropped the top for a drive on the twisty Amador County two lanes.
Nice day in all.
http://youtu.be/CMehpvdjcGc
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

gorges grill
i copyed the img code for this
but you should be able to copy this pic
windows xp,right click and save photo to my pics
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

Wheel wrote:Roy,
That really changes the look. It kinda reminded me of the early grille "georgeramos" put in his car. He posted photos under the topic "Francescos facelift" located in the "custom stuff" area.
I tried copying and pasting the link, but I can't get it to work. I used to be able to do this without any issues and I don't think I am doing anything different.......arghhh....... http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17051

Anyways, good creative thinking on your part, it looks great.
i see its diferent from photo bucket to flicker and picasa
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
Hootch
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by Hootch »

Inspired by this thread, I just spent a beautiful August evening stripping my grill. I'm just about finished with the stripping steps, so I thought I'd check in on whether anyone has any updated thoughts on the topic of 'shiny' grills.

My next steps will be to finish the steel wool polishing, clean with Denatured Alcohol(?) and then spray some sort of protective/shiny substance on this. In the photo below, you can see I did a test spray of a rattle can 'chrome' on a snow shovel as a test. Not loving it, although that's just one coat, with no buffing. But a clear coat that doesn't darken the finish might be a better option, if I can get the grill shined up enough.

Hootch McGee
1978 124 Spider (1592 cc motor)
2012 Mini Cooper Clubman S
2004 Aprilia Mojito