Stereo Expert advice needed

Gotta love that wiring . . .
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Stereo Expert advice needed

Post by TX82FIAT »

folks, I decided to put a nice stereo in the car with some nice speakers and a mini amp. The head unit is nothing special as I don't want to draw to much attention to the car. The mini amp is 300 Watt. 4 channel 75 Watt each channel with 45 RMS. The speakers are 200Watt 40 RMS per pair. I ran the RCA cable and wired everything up before mounting speakers in the pannels. After about 15 seconds of wondering if i hooked something up wrong the sound came out of all four speakers for each channel on the amp. sounded great. played it for about 10 minutes as i programmed all the radio station in. Not sure why the 15 second delay. plugged the speakers into the panels and buttoned everyting up and did one more test and speakers all worked. They sounded great and I finally have a Spider with a good stereo. Smile and a beer as i pat myself on the back for a nice system build inexpensively.

Now the interesting part. Later in the day my wife asked me to start the car she wanted to hear this new stereo system that only cost about $130 dollars in materials. So I turned the stereo on and ..... nothing. The amp is powered up, the radio is powered up, the speakers are dead silent. I can't get the stereo to play!

I did not play the volume at a level even close to high enough to damage the speakers. I have power at the radio with an antenna signal and power at the amp. I would think I have a signal issue or an interference issue that took a little time to emmerge. However, i could have some wierd electrical issue. I know the ground is good as i tested it and in the trunk you have the unique ability to hook the ground direcly to the negative terminat for the best ground possible.

help??

So, tonight i'm going to test for current across the speakers and see if i have another speaker around the house with RCA inpute to test the signal from the head unit. Any other thoughts about what to look at? Also, the amp is secured direclyt to the metal trunk wall. I read earlier today thet an amp should not be mounted on a metal surface even though i see it done that way all the time. thoughts?

Thanks, Ray
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Re: Stereo Expert advice needed

Post by RRoller123 »

Does the system have any kind of "mute" control?
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

is the head unit a digital tuner? Many digital tuners will send NO signal to speakers if it can't find a sufficiently strong stereo signal to reproduce.
Have you tried playing a CD in it?
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
Texasbull

Post by Texasbull »

And to add to the obvious, did you hook the antenna back up?
TX82FIAT

Post by TX82FIAT »

The head unit does have a mute funtion. However, i do not have the mute on. the display shows "MUTE" when on. The antenna is hooked up and the head unit has a nice function where you can see the variations of the music on an equalizer on the display. The music is playing as I can see the equalized on the head unit bouncing around. So the signal from the antenna is making it to the head unit.

Unfortunately i choose a head unit with no CD player. it has the AM/FM bands and has aux inputs and a USB drive. A few years back I digitized my entire music collection and sold over 500 CD's. The head unit is shorter in depth because it does not have a CD player and as we all know there is limited room behind the console. I'll try the aux in with a hook up to my I-pod tonight when I get home. I do think you may be on to something with the signals being transmitted into the head unit. I just don't get why it worked fine and then stopped. That points me in the direction of some type of interference or signal loss.

I guess I could test resitance/current across the speakers and then place a 12 volt battery across the + - terminals on the speakers to see if I get a pop or gurgle to ensure the speakers are still good. if I can get a speaker to work from the RCA jacks before the head unit and i can verify the speakers work then it would seem the issue would be with the mini amp.

All thoughts and testing procsesses welcome.

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

you're certain the amp has power? most are fuse-protected.
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
dmwhiteoak
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Post by dmwhiteoak »

On most amps there is a blue wire that must be connected to the receiver. That is where the delay comes in to play. You will get no output from the amp until that blue wire gets it's signal. It is to protect your speakers from a hard hit.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
dmwhiteoak

Post by dmwhiteoak »

You should also have a blue wire in the reciever harness.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
adrians
Your car is a: 1981 Spider Turbo - missing the turbo

Post by adrians »

Blue signal wire enables the AMP signal processor, so a power light on the AMP only means the AMP has power - not signal to switch on the audio signals - so recheck the blue wire.

Regards
THE FLEET
2014 Abarth "SS"
1981 Spider 2000 (Legend Industries Turbo - minus the Turbo)
1978 X1/9 1.3 Dual IDF 40's, Coupe Cam, Allison Header/Exhaust
1971 128 Sedan 1100cc, Coupe Cam/Headers
Motokhana Special 127 rear engined Rail 903cc
TX82FIAT

Post by TX82FIAT »

I do have a blue wire. The blue wire on the head unit is the amp power on switch that turns the amp on when the radio is turned on. If I don't turn on the radio the amp has no power. The audio signal is carried to the amp from the RCA cables. The amp does not have a blue wire. The amp has 4 input channels for RCA in. Wires on the AMP wiring harness are:

4 sets of speaker wires + and -
1 Red power wire
1 Black ground wire
1 orange head unit signal wire that turns on the amp - this is the wire hooked to the blue wire on the head unit.

All wires accounted for. When I hit power on the radio the amp green light comes on so i know part of that function works. I guess i will have to determine if that same wire is not only turning on the amp but simultaneously turning on the signal to be recieved. I guess this is to be expected from a $40 mini amp. the model is a Nitro Bmw-x43 300 Watt 4 Channel Car Amplifier. The idea was to amplify enough for listening when cruising down the highway top down and create in essence an independent circuit away from the ignition drawing power. I'll post some pick tonight if i can not get the signal from the ipod to work when I get home.

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
dmwhiteoak

Post by dmwhiteoak »

Check for A good connection orange to blue.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

you can use a battery to test each speaker AA,AAA,C,D all will make a speaker thump just a bit
as you tap the wire on the pos end batt while holding the other ground side on
FYI
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
TX82FIAT

Post by TX82FIAT »

OK, I have signal from the head unit. Used a random battery powered speaker with an RCA input and it worked. The speakers gave a little pop (all four) when applying a small battery to them. This leads me to believe the problem is in the $30 AMP. On the box the amp came in it did not say how many ohms the amp could push. Purchased on e-bay and could have swore the description said 4 ohm amp. However, after some research on the intranet last night the amp is a 2 ohm 75 watt per channel 45 RMS. So, I think what is happening is the speakers are producing too much resistance for the little $40 2 Ohm amp. I'm looking at another little Rockford Fosgate mini amp that is 4 Ohms. Options at this point are a better amp or 4 two ohm speakers.

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

go for a bigger amp
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
digitech
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Post by digitech »

I don't doubt that your "little e-bay amp" is the problem , in fact I'm betting on it but it has nothing to do with it being rated for a 2 ohm load vs a 4 ohm load. If the spec supplied is on the up & up, it's actually better that it can handle a 2 ohm load. The problem is, I suspect, it's a cheap little off-shore knockoff that has questionable quality and dubious specs. Pay a little more and get a quality brand name amp.