Ignition Coil

Gotta love that wiring . . .
deadmeat

Ignition Coil

Post by deadmeat »

My 1979 spider has 34k original miles, was garaged it's whole life (one owner before me). I am thrilled to own my first spider. I'm brand spanking new to the forums. I found you today while working on my mag pickup. My tach is not working right and that was my first guess. After following the shop manual, I found that my coil was out of tolerance. I was reading .90 Ohms from post to post, which is higher than the .81 max. Since the tach reads off the neg post on the coil, I'm guessing this is my problem. I found an exact replacement at International Auto Parts.

HOWEVER, I am wondering if there is a newer "dry" type coil that will provide better performance at a better price (the Marelli is $250). I don't want to throw off any of the ignition system by changing the stock coil, so I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has experience replacing the coil.

Thanks, Scott
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: Ignition Coil

Post by 124JOE »

hello and welcome
check your grounds just above the ING switch
and why buy a expencive coil?are you racing
i was told you can use the old GM style $12

want to post pics?
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
deadmeat

Post by deadmeat »

The only reason I would buy the expensive coil is that it is the stock one. I'd much rather save my pennies for other things. I'll check the ground and let you know. As for coils, it doesn't sound like swapping the original Marelli for a cheaper one will affect anything else. Is that correct?
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

i remember someone saying these cars had the same style coils as an old GM coil
so they would be easy to fix here in the USA
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
deadmeat

Post by deadmeat »

So how do I post pics on here? Can't seem to make them "stick" here.

EDIT: I See you Sig line, now. :) I don't use photobucket, but I'll work through it later and tag them.
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

do you use any photo housing sites?
deadmeat

Post by deadmeat »

Just Facebook
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

deadmeat:
you can use ANY modern coil, so long as it was designed for 12v! :wink:
No reason to spring for the original Marelli unit, unless you're obsessed with originality. (some are, and that's okay)
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Post by 4uall »

Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

you can sign in photobucket with you facebook id and your good
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

IF the car runs the coil is fine, are you replacing it cause the tach does not work??
Kent124

Post by Kent124 »

This works well with my 2L engine and closely matches OEM specs: ACCEL 8145 SuperStock Ignition Coils.

FWIW, my tach was jumping around and I ended up installing an ACCEL coil and new control module (under the coil). Tach is rock solid now.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

I would buy a new control module first, install that and test again. You can get them at any auto parts store for around $25, take your old one and show them. Once the control module is replaced drive around and see what happens. If the coil is failing it may only fail at high RPMs.

The 79-85 distributors are a "breakerless electronic" system. They don't use a typical points coil. The Accel coil Kent posted is a coil that has the closest specs to the original. I've had one on my daily driver for about 5 years now.
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

deadmeat wrote:. My tach is not working right and that was my first guess.
If that is your only problem then I would not replace the coil. What is the tach doing? Some people have found putting a capacitor between the coil negative terminal and ground fixes a bouncy tach. I can find out the type of capacitor if needed, just PM me.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
deadmeat

Post by deadmeat »

Thanks for the link to the Accel coil. I am looking at replacing it to fix the jumpy tach. The resistance on the original is out of spec. The inline resistor you can add is not supposed to be necessary for 79 and later from what I've read, which is why I'm looking for another answer. I will start with the control module, but since the coil is out of spec, that was my first guess. My grounds are clean, although, I haven't refurbished any of the yet. Hope that answers most of the questions. Thanks to all who offered advice and help.