Wiring Hel(l/p)!!!!!!

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Dougieb
Your car is a: 1972Spider

Wiring Hel(l/p)!!!!!!

Post by Dougieb »

OK, the PO of my 1972 Spider did a few funny things with the wiring. I am trying to sort it out. I do have a copy of Artigue's wiring diagram and am soooooo grateful for that. But I am hoping to pick the brains of more experienced/learned people out there to help me out.

These two white/black wires connect to a brown wire and come out from under the center console. No idea where this goes. The emergency brake light works. I am not sure of the backup lights as the PO TOOK THEM OUT!!!!! So I am not sure if this is for them. What is this?????

This light blue/black wire is riveted to the back of the dash behind where the emergency brake light is located. I have no stinking idea about this one. Any ideas?

This is another good one. These red and brown wires are by the fresh air vent on the driver's side. I have not dug into the fuse panel to see exactly where these come from. All I know is that is not up to Fiat standards no matter what anyone says! (ha ha) Any clues?

Also, my heater fan did not work as the black wire (ground) was not connected to anything. Where should it go?

I have more pictures and questions and will update this when I can get them here.
Thanks for the help in advance.
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: Wiring Hel(l/p)!!!!!!

Post by 124JOE »

check for continuity between the lost wires and ground,if nothing is a ground then hookup the ground
and add pos to the wires one buy one to see what they light up
as for the backup lights test them while you have the positive on it.joe
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
Dougieb

Post by Dougieb »

Sounds like a good plan.

Thanks.
I will post what happens.
Budduncan
Your car is a: 1971 Spider

Post by Budduncan »

if you have not solved all of your problems, I replaced the heater fan in my 71 a couple of months ago. It was actually not very difficult and I really go good at it after having to do it about 3 times due to the "learning curve". Finding all the console screws was part of the fun. I also had a new wood panel made for both my dash and the shift console. Now I cannot get the old shift knob off as it was probably glued to the lever. I will break it off when I get a replacement and then replace the vinyl shift boot and install my nice new wood panel. That will be a winter project. I am a slow learner on my Fiat. The fan i bought from Vick out of Texas seemed correct and had the correct wires coming out of it, but while it was supposed to be a two speed fan, it operates at the same speed no matter which way the fan swich is activated. i did a test with a suitable resister that dropped the speed in the low position to a suitable speed, but ended up deleting it since i do not drive it at all under poor weather conditions, and am too lazy to proerly mount the necessary power resister. As to your black wire, it attaches to a ground post up near the steering column, on the right side.
Cheers,
Bud in Seattle
Dougieb

Post by Dougieb »

Thanks.

I just about have my new heater control valve installed. Then it is time for the new fan motor. (from IAP)
I went ahead and tested my fan motor and it works correctly on both speeds.
So I am excited to get it all back together.
Do you know what the black wire is for?
It seems that I do not need it. Coming off the transmission, it may be a part of that keep-the-RPMs-up-between-3rd-4th-and-5th-gear thing. (mine is disconnected.) But I am not sure. Just curious.

Thanks again,
Dougieb
Matthewoakley

Post by Matthewoakley »

Where did you get the wiring diagram from - I have a 1980 Spider 2000 and need a diagram to help diagnose a problem