'80 Hazard Switch Fail

Gotta love that wiring . . .
gtkid2002

'80 Hazard Switch Fail

Post by gtkid2002 »

Alright, I've got an '80 FI 2000 spider. Yesterday, it was fine. I pull the center console and the lights/switch section thinking I would work on it last night, but that never happened. So I hop in it this morning, pop in my new shiny clock (redid the face), and plug back in the switches. There's some other stuff that occured that I did, but I don't feel that it's relevant, and I kinda got it taken care of. But the hazard switch. Oh the hazard switch. It's dead. So once again, I don't have blinkers.

I've read about people bypassing it, but this car fails me enough that I still want to be able to kick on my hazards. However...

I have an '78 parts car, and I still have the hazard switch from that. Is it possible to convert to an older one? I've got the Artigue wiring diagrams and I'm lost. I'm noticing that the stupid hazard switch kind of ties into everything, and mine is shot. Aside from buying a new one (I don't have the 80' bucks to shell out), has anybody out there converted theirs to a non-regular one? And at least for a short term, what do I need to bypass to get my blinkers going again?

Please let me know if this has been done before.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Re: '80 Hazard Switch Fail

Post by manoa matt »

I'm guessing the button does not say in/out? Here is the article on how to fix it:

http://flumichigan.italiancarclub.com/T ... switch.pdf

Alternatively you can post in the parts wanted section for a used one.
4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Post by 4uall »

this was posted yesterday and I have only purchased one.

http://forum.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtop ... 11&t=17501
Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

to bypass the switch
you must ID the wires "pos/neg"
in and out
then put a jumper between a pos and the one that supplys pos to the blinkers
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Here's a pic of the jumper that was on my car when I got it if it helps:
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
gtkid2002

Post by gtkid2002 »

Thanks for all the quick responses.

I already emailed Twincam about the hazard switches, but I'd have to wait till Monday before I could buy one (friggin banks and paypal screwing me over on the weekends), and both are already sold.

I see the jumper goes from the blue wire to what appears to be the blue/white wire? I was pulling wires out of my old connector and trying to install them onto the older hazard switch. I still might try that and see if it works.

And what's wrong with my switch isn't on that list. That little metal tab that lets the switch turn on off? It's corroded so badly it's seized. Up until now I've been having a leaky tarp on top, so it corroded just about all my switches. Not too happy about that, but whatever.

I tried to connect as many connectors onto the old plug as I could from the new one, so I'll try it out and see if A: it works or B: I blow up my electrical system.

I love this car, but man, the electrical system blows. Even my leaky bug doesn't have these kinds of problems.
gtkid2002

Post by gtkid2002 »

Alright, I got the bypass working, and for anybody who has to do this in the future, make a jumper between the BLUE and BLUE/WHITE wires. My blue/white had two spliced into one connector, and one wire was dotted, the other was striped. Hook those together and BAM. Blinkers.

I really want to make my own custom hazard switch that isn't so prone to failure.
buzzyb
Your car is a: 1975 fiat sport spider 1800

Post by buzzyb »

Hey Mike,Thank,s for the backside of the ignition switch works great,just need to install relay.Buzzy!
gtkid2002

Post by gtkid2002 »

No problem buzzy! Glad I could help!

I'm still having some issues with this thing. None of my instrument lights work, and none of my running lights work. All of this happened when my hazard switch failed...

Suggestions?
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

get a diferent switch
try matt
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
gtkid2002

Post by gtkid2002 »

Except for the fact that I got my running lights working today. I don't recall if my instrument lights are working or not yet, but at least I can drive at night for now and not get pulled over. I'm thinking that the wiper cowl drains are leaking into my cab and corroding everything. That a common place for a leak? I keep opening my doors to find that my floor mats are soaked. Constantly after a rain.

Any major/common leak points on the front of the car into the cabin I should look for?
124JOE

Post by 124JOE »

it sounds like you need a top bow seal
and added pading under the sides to push it out to the window

buy they have to be removed to drop the top
DocGraphics
Your car is a: 1978 124 spider

Post by DocGraphics »

Here's your switch on evil-bay right now for $33 at the moment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIAT-124-SPIDER ... 519wt_1396
Don Raugust
1978 Fiat 124 Spider "Fiona" - Burgundy/Tan
2011 pics: http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/ad22 ... 0Pictures/
2012 pics: http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/ad22 ... cs%202012/
gtkid2002

Post by gtkid2002 »

That was about the fastest $44 I've spent in a while. Thanks for posting that DocGraphics~ Maybe with that I can actually get it on the road and only have to worry about the brakes not working instead of that and the lights :roll:

124Joe - I don't know what seal that is, but I have a hard top. Sounds like it's a soft top seal, and I took mine out. Still have it too if anybody's interested. I only point at the cowl drains because I'm pretty certain I can see drip marks on my floormats from around there. Only other seal I could think of would be the main windshield seal because I know it's not leaking from the top.

I can't even drive the blasted thing because I'm not sure when the lights will fail again. And I can't seem to get any work done on the thing because as soon as I go to do something with the seals, it starts raining and ruins my chances of getting it done while it's dry. I don't have a garage to park it in either.