relay install in ignition switch

Gotta love that wiring . . .
buzzyb
Your car is a: 1975 fiat sport spider 1800

relay install in ignition switch

Post by buzzyb »

Going to put relays in my wiring to my ignition switch on a 75 spider,anyone have the know how to intall the relays,would be very appreciated if some one can guide me through the install,have a rely with 15amp fuse attched,red,black,yellow,blue,
wires,like to know what colors to attach the wires from the relay to the wiring going to the ignition switch.Buzzy!
wikkid

Re: relay install in ignition switch

Post by wikkid »

Are you going to run full current to the starter, triggering it with a relay that gets its signal from the ignition switch? I have no idea if 15A is heavy enough for the amps the starter will pull. I don't remember which threads, but a search should give you some results on here about actual wiring setup. And you may not want to rely on wire color alone, as you never know if some wiring was swapped out by a previous owner.

I like the idea of not running full current through the ignition switch, and using it only to close the contact in the relay that will send the 12V current straight over to the starter, without loading the switch so much.
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

this subject has been extensively discussed on Mirafiori. They even have guys that sell relay kits. One guy even posted a VW schematic to relay the entire system.
tartan18
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by tartan18 »

Csaba of Auto Ricambi sent me a wiring diagram to install the three ISO relays that I bought from him. Installation was straightforward. As the diagram is copyrighted you should contact him directly. Now all loads are bypassed and the ignition switch is only used to ground a relay. $32.70 for the three relays was, for me, a worthwhile modification.
Jim MacKenzie
1975 Fiat Spider
Finest Italian Automotive Technology
buzzyb

Post by buzzyb »

Hi Thank,s will try Csaba for the wiring and relay,went through a few switches now and learned my lessons,Thank,s Buzzy!
tartan18 wrote:Csaba of Auto Ricambi sent me a wiring diagram to install the three ISO relays that I bought from him. Installation was straightforward. As the diagram is copyrighted you should contact him directly. Now all loads are bypassed and the ignition switch is only used to ground a relay. $32.70 for the three relays was, for me, a worthwhile modification.
buzzyb

Post by buzzyb »

Thank,s will try that,Buzzy!
azruss wrote:this subject has been extensively discussed on Mirafiori. They even have guys that sell relay kits. One guy even posted a VW schematic to relay the entire system.
buzzyb

Post by buzzyb »

Thank,s will try to find the right thread,tired of replacing ignition switches,originals are very hard to find,so just buying the backsides abd they are getting hard to find. Buzzy!
wikkid wrote:Are you going to run full current to the starter, triggering it with a relay that gets its signal from the ignition switch? I have no idea if 15A is heavy enough for the amps the starter will pull. I don't remember which threads, but a search should give you some results on here about actual wiring setup. And you may not want to rely on wire color alone, as you never know if some wiring was swapped out by a previous owner.

I like the idea of not running full current through the ignition switch, and using it only to close the contact in the relay that will send the 12V current straight over to the starter, without loading the switch so much.