Blinkers too fast

Gotta love that wiring . . .
jezza

Blinkers too fast

Post by jezza »

Hallo
I have a problem with my 1980 Spider 2000 ie. When I use the blinkers only with the ignition on, blinkers are functionering normally, both when lights are on or not. But when the engine is running, blinkers are much too fast both to the left and to the right, wether lights are on or not does not make any difference. All bulbs are ok. I would be happy, if anyone has a clue to the problem.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Blinkers too fast

Post by TX82FIAT »

Check the voltage from your alternator and the voltage from your battery. The 1980 fi should be a 65amp alternator with internal voltage regulator. If the voltage regulator in the alternator is not functioning it could cause this fast blink when engine running and normal when not. Does the battery light on the dash light up when you turn the key to position 2 and then shut off when you start the car?
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
jezza

Post by jezza »

Hello

Thanks for the answar. As you have suggested I have tested the voltage on the battery. Without the ignition key turned the voltage is 12,4 volt. With the engine running measured on the two main cables to the battery it says 14,3 volt ( engine speed 1000 rpm ). Do you think that the voltage of 14,3 can couse the problem?
It also seems that the battery charge indicator lamp is glowing very faintly when the headlamps are switched on, so it has been for a long time ( is this not a sign of a bad ground somewhere related to thr lamps? ).
I look forward to get some comments
TX82FIAT

Post by TX82FIAT »

Voltage from the alternator should be 13.5 or above. I would not think 14.3 is anything to worry about. The 14.3 could be why your blinkers appear to run a little fast. In fact, it's pretty darn good and a lot of people would love to have thier stock alternator put out 14.3. As long as the voltage does not spike/fall off significantly at higher RPM's you are good. When you turn you headlights on and the battery light faintly glows that is a pretty common issue since the circuit runs through the ignition switch. A lot of guys on the forum have had this issue. A couple things to consider. 1. check the grounds. You have good voltage so it may be a common point of a bad ground. 2. Consider the headlight relay modification. It does not cost a lot and is pretty easy to do since you use the existing switch to trigger the relay and the lights will be bright. With 14.3 volts you will have bright lights after the headlight relay that also includes additional grounds. I think the relay kit can be purchased for $40 or so.

All this assumes that the voltage regulator is functioning.

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
TX82FIAT

Post by TX82FIAT »

Jezza, the more I think of this the more I question that 14.3 volts from a stock alternator at 1000 RPM's is a good thing. You can test the voltage across the battery terminals with the headlights on and lights off and have an assistant help you to test the voltage at say 2000 and 3000 rpms to ensure that the voltage regulator is working. To much voltage can damage the battery and possibly even the ECU. I just want to be sure the voltage regulator is working. The voltage regulator not working could also contibute to the light on the dash as the voltage is not adjusting to the increased need produced by the lights coming on and therefore the battery is not charging properly. See what some other folks have to say. No use to strong voltage on these cars unless the hi po 95 amp alternator upgrade is done. with the 95 amp alternator a 14.5 voltage similar to a GM alternator makes more sense.

Thanks, Ray

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
jezza

Post by jezza »

TX82FIAT wrote:Jezza, the more I think of this the more I question that 14.3 volts from a stock alternator at 1000 RPM's is a good thing. You can test the voltage across the battery terminals with the headlights on and lights off and have an assistant help you to test the voltage at say 2000 and 3000 rpms to ensure that the voltage regulator is working. To much voltage can damage the battery and possibly even the ECU. I just want to be sure the voltage regulator is working. The voltage regulator not working could also contibute to the light on the dash as the voltage is not adjusting to the increased need produced by the lights coming on and therefore the battery is not charging properly. See what some other folks have to say. No use to strong voltage on these cars unless the hi po 95 amp alternator upgrade is done. with the 95 amp alternator a 14.5 voltage similar to a GM alternator makes more sense.

Thanks, Ray
Hello again

Thanks for the answars. At first I will clean all the grounds I can find, If this does not solve the problem I will change the relay for thr blinkers and additionally check the voltage as you have suggested. I will return with the result.

Niels
jezza

Post by jezza »

Hallo Ray

I bought a new relay and fitted it in the car, and I am glad to report that the problem is cured. Today I havee driven the car for the first time this spring, and everything is working proberly. Tkanks for the advise.

Niels
TX82FIAT

Post by TX82FIAT »

Awesome, enjoy the car. I drove through the Texas Hill country from Dallas to San Antonio with my wife on Saturday and it was a blast. There is something to driving a vintage car that you crack a knucle working on. :)

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
jezza

Post by jezza »

Hallo Ray
It must have been a wonderful journey, and a very long one too, as far as I can see about 270 miles, but in your area it is nicely warm, approx 24 deg c. as I can see in the internet. Here in Denmark wee have only about 14 deg. c.. in the middle of the day, so we go not so far in the open car yet. However we look forward to the summer, where we can go further. Last week we were skiing in Norway, so winther is still not far away from here as we are as far north like the southern part of Alaska.
Niels