Interior Door Handle Not Working

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
yap123

Interior Door Handle Not Working

Post by yap123 »

I just got an 82 Spider and the interior passenger-side door handle doesn't work. There's no spring action to release the locking mechanism. When I squeeze the door handle to unlock, I have to push the door open. The door doesn't pop open.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Clint
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

there are at least two springs in the mechanism that releases the door catch. There is also several moving parts involved. There is no spring loading the door itself.

Being you are dealing with a 24 year old vehicle, I would suggest that these parts have long starved for any kind of lubrication. And, if the window wipers have deteriorated (most likely) water is getting inside the door. That means rusty parts.

I would act under the assumption that the parts are all in place, and just need some penetrating oil, then lubrication. Pop off the interior door cover by removing the arm rest, the door handle and the window crank. Then pull off the panel. You will be able to see the mechanism at the door handle with relative ease. The other end might require some additional lighting.

Once you've applied the penetrating oil, it should begin to operate better. If not, check and see if there are bent or broken parts.

It is possible that someone has attempted to force the door open while it was locked......means bent pieces. But, I'd work at the lubrication first - most likely to succeed.

Welcome,
Mike
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

Clint, it sounds like the inside handle works but the door is sticking. It may be that the door has sagged or is misadjusted. Once you open the door, close it just to the point that is touches the latch but doesn't completely close. Then look at the body lines and see if the door lines up. If it does, then check the rubber alignment block that mounts on the lower part of the door jamb. It should line up with the slot on the door jamb. Also inspect the door jamb for worn paint that would indicate contact between the door and body