95 amp alternators

Gotta love that wiring . . .
So Cal Mark

Re: 95 amp alternators

Post by So Cal Mark »

I never claimed the higher output alternator would cure other electrical faults. I've yet to hear from anyone that was sorry they did the upgrade. If you're happy with 70s era lights, then keep your 55a unit. Many owners are using modern lights with driving lights and other electrical accessories and the higher amp unit is a must
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

Agreed, once you are running all the things that didn't really exist back in the day or are pushing more watts out in good lighting, you will really appreciate the additional amps. All the little widgets and watnots we see as required today put a real load on the system.

I think our point really is around making sure the car is properly maintained and some other upgrades so they don't assume the new alternator will cure all ills and be upset with you the supplier when they still have slow wipers.
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

So, a couple questions on this 95 amp alternator:

Background: I've done the brown wire fix, all electrical components work well and ground pods/staps clean/good contact on an 82'. I will most likley do the headlight relay in the next couple of months. I'm looking at putting a 300 watt mini amp (3" X 3" X 1.5") under the passenger seat with that I estimat will draw 22 to 25 Amps under full load. when I add up the electrical components lights, fans, ECU, head unit, engine, efficiency I can not get over 40 Amps being pulled from a 65 amp alternator. I've often thought of the stock alternators (in particular the BOSH) alterantors as a little bit lazy.

1. I've not installed a load reduction relay to take the load off the the ignition switch (proclaimed week point). If you bump up to a 95 amp alternator without changing the load across your ignition switch does that present an issue?

2. the question was asked but not answered. Are there any drawback to installing the alternator on the drivers side?

3. The mini Amp would be on a circuit deriving power from the battery. Given I can only come up with 40 amps extreme max being pulled from current system. I should be able to run the amp pulling 20 amps on a sunny day all day long. thoughts on powering the amp with enough excess to charge the battery?

I'm just wondering if bigger is better in this case. I do thing the 95 amp alternator would make what is running good run better. just concerned about higher flow through the ignition switch? Thoughts before spending money!! :?:
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

I would run some relays instead of running everything through the ignition switch. Take the load off the switch by putting the load circuits onto relays the ignition switches on and off. This would especially apply to your amp which should have a relay switched by the head unit being turned on.

If you choose not to put the existing load onto relays, the ignition switch won't be any worse off than it is now.

Yes the 95amps would be more than adequate to run what is there and power a nice amp.

I have seen the 95 amp alt on the drivers side. Once it is in place its pretty much set it and forget it.
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
opus10583
Your car is a: 1978 CS1

Post by opus10583 »

baltobernie wrote:I hate to throw cold water on this topic, but a Spider could have Three Mile Island bubbling under the bonnet, but without good switches and wiring, the lights would still be dim, the wipers slow, etc.
[...]
Yes... but the extra warmth from all those bad connections having more amps to draw will extend the driving season here in the Northeast by at least 2-3 weeks.

Ciao,
Mark
...Yes; I know what it means: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino.

DOLCETTO: 1978 CS1; 10:1, DMS, 4-2-1...
ANDIAMMO: 2012 500 ABARTH

Acquista il Biglietto; Prendere la Gita! - Hunter S. Thompson
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

>. the question was asked but not answered. Are there any drawback to installing the alternator on the drivers side?

No. I have it there.

> I should be able to run the amp pulling 20 amps on a sunny day all day long.

Yes. Just be sure it has it's own relay, so those 20 amps do not go through the ignition switch.

> just concerned about higher flow through the ignition switch?

Relays are the answer :-) I you add headlight relays and a relay for the amp then you have take the major users off the ignition switch.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
leftfield6

Post by leftfield6 »

Off the topic a wee bit here, but did you mistype (TX82FIAT) when you said you had a mini-amp that's 3 inches x 3 inches x 1.5 inches? And that said amp is going to put out 300 watts? If so, I think your amp may be suffering from a little bit of specification inflation.

Closest that I know of to that size and power is the new line of Rockford Fosgate amps. They have a new compact amp that does 300 watts (74x4) and measures about 5x7x2.
leftfield6

Post by leftfield6 »

vandor wrote:>. the question was asked but not answered. Are there any drawback to installing the alternator on the drivers side?

No. I have it there.

> I should be able to run the amp pulling 20 amps on a sunny day all day long.

Yes. Just be sure it has it's own relay, so those 20 amps do not go through the ignition switch.

> just concerned about higher flow through the ignition switch?

Relays are the answer :-) I you add headlight relays and a relay for the amp then you have take the major users off the ignition switch.
I wouldn't run the amp through the ignition or through a relay. I always run the 12V+ power feed for an amp directly to the battery. Amp will be turned on and off by the trigger wire from the stereo, which uses just a "signal" 12V+. Almost no draw at all. No need for a relay to do this, basically your head unit does it for you.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

BMWX-43 - NITRO 4 CHANNEL 300 WATT MINI AMLIFIER. Under two pounds, and at a size of 4.5" x 1.6" x 3.7" (W/H/L). I was off a litle on the measurements. I will run the AMP with a circuit direct to the battery and I'll install the headlight relay. Should be good to go off the 65 amps.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

as long as you don't mind running your alternator at max output all of time
124ADDHE
Your car is a: 1974 Spider Amalgamation with C40 Solex

Post by 124ADDHE »

Yeah, but how often is an amp or the rest of the electrical systems drawing their max load. Simply put, the 55and65 amp alternators will do just a fine job, especially if the headlights are relayed and drawing power directly from the alternator. Not even close to full draw of the alternator. hey, but bigger is better and depite the lack of need some people will still want the 95amp unit but, if you currently have a 65amp alternator, its not really going to make a lick of difference to the performance of your electrical system, you may personally have a feeling of superiority over your fellow fiat friends as you have a bigger dick...er...alternator under your hood... :D
Regards,
Keith Cox
1973 124 Spider
1973 John Deere 500c backhoe
1987 Jaguar VDP
2013 passat tdi
2015 cherokee